Thread: Door stiles & rails different thickness

Door stiles & rails different thickness

I’m building a 2-1/2” door using stave cores for the stiles and rails. The door will have 3/4” vertical planks on both sides with insulation in the middle. Widths will be 5” for stiles and top rail & 8” for the bottom rail. Each stile will be 2-1/2” thick but for each rail i’m planning to do 1” thick because I’m going for a vertical planks only look. Jointing will be a through M&T.

This means my tenons will be roughly 3/4” thick max with 1/8” shoulders. Am I asking for trouble and should I double up the tenons?

Thx.

If you do the stiles as "built up" construction, it would be very easy for you to do through or near-through tenons on the rails that would provide a "yuge" amount of gluing area which will result in a very strong joint. It would also make it easier for you to eliminate one shoulder (presumably toward the front) because you could put more rail thickness into the mortise. There is no rule that requires your stiles to be a single piece of wood for the thickness and for a creative design like this, there can be advantage to lamination to get things where you want them to be. Honestly, all the doors I've built (not many for sure) have used a built up construction to eliminate the pain of cutting deep mortises in solid stock.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Jim. I was worried if there’s a rule for rails to have the same thickness as stiles which seems isn’t the case. ‘Yuge’ tenon it shall be

Do you have the hinges and lock sets to work on a 2 1/2" thick door? You might want to consider ball bearing hinges for all that weight! Watch out for wood expansion on a plank door style. The reason panel doors came into the world is that plank doors became locked into the jamb when the humidity went way up. Might be the reason the framing is called jambs?

I agree with Richard to thoroughly investigate the hardware requirements and make a decision there before you build the door.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

All good points - am very new to woodworking so I find myself ending up in a lot of rabbit holes.

I will be using 3, 5” ball bearing hinges. For expansion and contraction, my plan is to use 1/32” spacing between each 5” wide T&G plank which seems reasonable given the shrinkulator outputs for 5” QS Sapele going from 8% to 12% moisture in Massachusetts.

I build the jamb using 8/4 Sapele and am reinforcing the tops and bottom by securing to top beam and bottom concrete steps.

Blog Entries
    Take a look at Tectus hinges. Great for heavy doors, I used them on 9’ tall doors MDF over a wooden frame that were very very heavy.

I make rails and stiles different thicknesses for door that do not need to create a seal. If they do then I want at least the face against the seal to be uniform.

Generally speaking I make the panel edges and tenons the same thickness so that I can groove for panels and fill the absent space with a tenon haunch.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Does the door ever see rain? Those 1/32 gaps will direct the water down and fill up the dado in the bottom rail. That will peel off finish and greatly reduce the life of the door. I suggest you go to 1/2" wood for the panels, only 1/4" fan fold rigid insulation between the panels, and if possible, change the design so the outside panel extends past the bottom rail. That will get you down to a 2" door which is pretty standard for an exterior door. If you don't want to do any of that, at the minimum, drill a few weep holes in the bottom dado to drain out water. If it makes any difference, I done quite a few doors, ranging from churches to a strip club. The strip club doors lasted for decades and when they built a new building, the enshrined the doors inside the new building as a bit of club history.
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 03-07-2024 at 2:18 PM.

The door is covered by a metal bulkhead door. IÂ’ll post pictures tonight for clarity when I get back.

Is the idea of the dado to allow the vertical planks a place to ‘rest on’? I was just going to nail the vertical planks through the middle

If I am understanding your constitution you have full thickness stave core stiles - 1” thick rails centered then vertical planks on to these to end up flush with the stiles. All t&g together but not glued to each other. It could work but seems overly complicated. I think that thinner rail is going to create a weak pinch point especially if the door gets slammed. There are a few methods to build solid wood plank doors. I prefer the ladder frame type. Thick, 2 1/4” or more is better with a ladder frame. If you are on the East coast Sipo Mahogany is easy to source and has less movement that Sapele. It’s a lot better for doors. When I do these I make a ladder frame 1” to 1 1/4” thick then use 1/2” to 5/8” thick T&G paneling that is glued to the frame but not glued to each other with spacing to allow for movement. I don’t do stave core on these because I end up with a 3 layer construction that is very stable if the grain is reversed. Quartered or rift material is better but due to costumer choices I have made a lot of these with plain sawn material with no issues. One big advantage of the ladder frame vs your method is the planks add to the structural strength by overlapping the vertical stiles of the ladder frame.
    here are pictures of one I just built for a rustic hike to cabin at 12000 ft. elevation.
    5x 5 bb hinges are a good choice or the Tectus hinges Brian mentioned. I am liking the Aussie Weider concealed ones also. Most high end hardware mfgs will have locks and hardware for 2 1/2” thick doors. Emtek even offers hardware to 2 1/2” thick. Plank doors are better to the weather than frame and panel as the water just runs straight down without intersecting rails.
    IMG_7770.jpg
    IMG_7777.jpg
    IMG_7787.jpg
    IMG_7791.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Lee View Post
    The door is covered by a metal bulkhead door. IÂ’ll post pictures tonight for clarity when I get back.

Is the idea of the dado to allow the vertical planks a place to ‘rest on’? I was just going to nail the vertical planks through the middle
    I thought you were talking about an entrance door, no idea it was going to be nailed together.-

I agree with Joe's suggestion as to the ladder frame. I have made several exterior doors that way exposed to the weather out of Spanish Cedar that have held up well. If you do build your stiles as described in your first post be sure to add blocking at the hinge and lockset points. Tectus hinges are excellent though expensive and require a rather deep mortise so do your homework.