Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: whats in that take out food

when i drove to LA, a number of times I sat and ate with truckers, the restaurants they picked were good and I found sitting with them even if not one of them they great to talk to.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    One day a car crashed in my ditch in front of my home, guy was eating a salad as he drove through the subdivision.
    I once saw a woman in a big Lincoln Towncar pull out of McD’s. She was eating pancakes with the plate balanced on the steering wheel, using a fork and knife.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I once saw a woman in a big Lincoln Towncar pull out of McD’s. She was eating pancakes with the plate balanced on the steering wheel, using a fork and knife.
    Obviously she had “ tilt wheel” .
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 03-14-2024 at 9:29 AM. Reason: fixed quote tagging

Blog Entries
    We try to think of alternatives to fast food when traveling and take a cooler. It takes some effort. There is a vending machine at a rest stop somewhere near Erie PA on I-90 that has sardines, tuna, garlic crackers, little cans of processed cheese, Vienna sausages, Fat Freddy hot sausages, pickles, pickled eggs, and some other interesting items. That vendor knows truckers.
    My F.I.L. has forgotten a lot but he still remembers getting fried chicken box lunches from hard working Southern Ladies who had box lunches for sale at the buss stops all along Route 1 starting in Virginia all the way down to Key West. He took a buss ride from NH to Key West and back just for fun in 1948 when he was 13. He still loves homemade fried chicken. It is almost impossible to get him to eat Macdonalds.
    Best Regards, Maurice

when i drove to LA, a number of times I sat and ate with truckers, the restaurants they picked were good and I found sitting with them even if not one of them they great to talk to.
    I drove to San Diego with a friend. We went to see an exhibit at one of the Museums in Balboa Park.
    Neither one of us had ever been to SD. First morning (we were staying at a hotel in The Loop) we are wondering which of the many nearby restaurants is any good.
    I wander up and down the street aways and I see one place with three SD police cars parked outside it.
    After making certain there was no "criminal activity" going on I went back to the hotel and told my friend, "I found the restaurant we should eat at."
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

drove from north of Toronto to LA, Stayed in Mission Viejo and furthest south ate at Charo CHicken in San Juan Capistrano. Had a friend in Santa Monica and one in Culver city and one in San Fran. Nice to drive from here then spend time with three friends from here that lived there. Ate somewhere in Culver City and it was excellent. Was there three weeks in April, it was excellent, everyone was happy and the weather was stunning.

drove from north of Toronto to LA, Stayed in Mission Viejo and furthest south ate at Charo CHicken in San Juan Capistrano. Had a friend in Santa Monica and one in Culver city and one in San Fran. Nice to drive from here then spend time with three friends from here that lived there. Ate somewhere in Culver City and it was excellent. Was there three weeks in April, it was excellent, everyone was happy and the weather was stunning.
    that’s when you need to play the ROUTE 66 theme ! I think it was Henry Mancini ‘s work. Never gets old.
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 03-14-2024 at 12:02 AM. Reason: It was Nelson Riddle

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    that’s when you need to play the ROUTE 66 theme ! I think it was Henry Mancini ‘s work. Never gets old.
    Nelson Riddle, actually.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    We try to think of alternatives to fast food when traveling and take a cooler. It takes some effort. There is a vending machine at a rest stop somewhere near Erie PA on I-90 that has sardines, tuna, garlic crackers, little cans of processed cheese, Vienna sausages, Fat Freddy hot sausages, pickles, pickled eggs, and some other interesting items. That vendor knows truckers.
    My mom always packed lunch for the family when we went on family road trips. We always did vacations via car. I don't recall ever being on a plane as a kid except when my father was transferred to/from California. We sometimes also ate breakfast in our motel room to save money. We would eat out for lunch if the destination didn't allow for your own food. We always ate dinner at a restaurant. Us kids could have pop (soda) at dinner only. We had to have milk, OJ, or water for other meals. We never had pop at home.

My parents sometimes will pack food for a road trip these days, but they are more likely to buy food than when I was a kid. Today, bringing their own food is as much about nutrition as it is saving money.

While I know eating fast food continuously probably isn't good for you, I have often wondered how much the associated lifestyle that tends to go with a lot eating fast food is as much a contributor.

The whole point of fast food is that it is fast. Needing food fast tends to go with not having a lot of time; being stressed because of not being having time to do everything you need to do; not getting enough exercise; not having time to relax; body full of cortisol from stress; drinking lots of coffee, caffeinated pop, or those god-awful energy drinks; and so forth. If you were to swap out "healthy food" for the fast food in that lifestyle, you're probably still not going to see much health improvement.

For example, wrestling season just finished up for my 17 year old. I've spent the last 4 months racing to meets after work (often with long car drives), spending 8 -10 hours on Saturdays at tournaments crammed on bleachers in high school gyms jammed between parents and school kids, eating concession stand hotdogs, pizza, candy bars, and over salted popcorn, eating fast food or gas station food (thank god for Casey's and Kwik Trip), and trying to get everything else done in the little free time I had left. Needless to say, I feel absolutely awful. Arthritis is flared up, I gained about 5 pounds, and I have no energy. Even if I ate "healthily" in that time, I doubt I would feel much better. As a side note, I knew at the beginning that all was going to happen, but it was still worth it

On the flip side, my 17 year old ate fast food constantly, just to try to keep weight on (he wrestles the heavier weights), and he is the picture of health. Hard to imagine for us old folks, but for a youngster burning 5000+ calories a day, it can be hard to eat enough.

Many studies on nutrition are by necessity (budget, practicality, ethics, etc) observational and can only find associations/correlations. They are also notoriously full of confounding variables which are almost impossible to exclude (it is even difficult to exclude confounding variables from randomized controlled studies). It can be difficult to come to useful conclusions from observational studies; the humorous example often given is that if you observe house fires, you almost always find the fire department. Therefore to prevent house fires, all you need to do is get rid of fire departments.

The human body is mind-bogglingly complex. Everytime we think we have it figured out, we soon learn how little we truly know. Think of trepanning, the 4 humors and bloodletting, miasma, spontaneous generation, mercury as medicine, phrenology, trans-fats are healthy, etc. and all the other outdated theories and treatments we now scoff at. What parts of "modern" medicine will someday be added to that list? Diet heart hypothesis? Glycemic index? Calories in vs Calories out?

There is so much that we don't know we don't know.

When it comes to fast food, it's probably not a bad idea to pay attention to the calorie count. It really isn't hard to consume 1000 calories at a burger joint, or about half a day's recommended calories - and not a lot of nutrients except fat and simple carbs. One that kind of surprised me are the dinner salads at places like Applebees or Texas Road House. I always thought salads were supposed to be good for you. Their dinner salads can run 1300 calories or more.

It's not the salad itself, it's the dressing that adds the fat calories. IIRC, an investigation some time ago showed that the salad with dressing at MacDonald's was higher in fat than the Big Mac.
    I'm not going to say to just ignore everything totally but if a person is wound up tight over what to eat or anything else, it is likely to have an equally severe impact on your mortality than what is of concern. Everything in moderation!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Howatt View Post
    I'm not going to say to just ignore everything totally but if a person is wound up tight over what to eat or anything else, it is likely to have an equally severe impact on your mortality than what is of concern. Everything in moderation!
    A teacher when I was in parochial school was naturally "big boned". She looked overweight no matter her actual weight. She ate almost nothing because she didn't want to look fat. She ended up dying fairly young around age 50. I don't know what she died from, or if her eating habits contributed to her dying fairly young.

Blog Entries
    The main advantage of fast food these days isn't because they are fast and certainly not because they taste good but because they are convenient. The calory count of a burger and fries at "Speedy Food" is probably pretty close to a burger and fries made at home although most people go for that giant size burger at home instead of the paper thin one at "Speedy Food". I try to stay away from them but some make pretty good shakes and the coffee isn't bad at all.