Thread: Different type of hand plane

Different type of hand plane

Saw this on the side bar and realized I saw it at the last woodworking machinery show as I spoke with Tersa on their products. Only watched a few minutes so not sure what he has to say, will watch more when have time.

I only looked at it at the show and listened to the sales guy but just seemed odd. Dont shoot the messenger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpVKqqunTtE

Seem like about 35 years go, there was a similar disposable blade plane. I may have seen it one of the woodworking tool catalogues or at Woodline the Japan Woodworker in Alameda, CA. At the time Woodline had a number of unusual and new tools. From what memory tells me, the plane was soon off the market. A number of people thought it was a high priced one trick show gimmick.

Come to think of it, at one time was not there a small plane that utilized single edged razor blades??

They have been around a long time, maybe the 70's The Paramo was the first one that I heard of, maybe in the 60's.
    I have a current model Japanese disposable blade plane. That's it on the left. The blades are made by Kanefusa and have a built in chip-breaker. I may have some better photos of it.
    SAM_1302.jpg

Screenshot 2024-03-06 232737.jpg

Paramo Rebate Plane - No. 10

Our Rating

Paramo 10 Review By: I.Ball

Manufacturer: Paramo

Plane Type: Rebate / Smoothing

Model No: 10 - Planemaster

The Paramo plane number 10 is a 10 inch long plane for rebate / smoothing work.

The plane was manufatured by F. Parramore & Sons (1924) Ltd., Chapeltown, Sheffield, England.

The Paramo 10 plane was advertised as 'no grinding or honing' due to the plane having replaceable tungsten steel blades.

The blades can be changed quickly and locked in position by simply flicking a lever.

The Paramo plane was supplied with a fence which allowed rebate work up to 38mm (1 1/2") wide.

The Paramo Planemaster no. 10 had two types of blades:

PB10 - Standard
    PB10 - Special (specially for plastic laminates)

The plane was finished in a dark blue colour and fitted with a hardwood rear handle and front knob.

Parts of the Paramo plane were similar in design and colour to the Record plane range of the time with the exception of the core central unit.

Additional Information

A 10 inch long precision tool of the highest quality, designed and made in Sheffield.

Perfectly balanced for craftsman control.

No grinding or honing.

Unique replaceable blades of tungsten steel changed in 3 seconds and securely locked by the flick of a lever.

Positive micrometer adjustments to give a super-smooth finish on hard or soft woods.

Ideal for use on plastic laminates.

Smoothing and rabbeting with the same plane.

Simple gauge attachment for rebates up to 1 1/2" wide.

There were two types of blade for the Paramo Planemaster:

PB10 - Standard
    PB10 - Special (specially for plastic laminates)

Manufactured Dates

? - ? (1967)

thanks Mark, I was totally unaware of that. I only posted the plane shown as it was new to me and odd then it was Tersa and their heads are so well respected. Guy they had in the both I guess from Switzerland was very good, why I like the shows you can hit them up with many questions and great answers and some make more questions then more. you mention the kanafusa and each time I hear that name takes me back to BC saw bought maybe Gladuu or I should check but storey was there was very impressed with the kanafusa they sold. I have so many saw blades but still will have to try them. Andrew here in the past had them and swore by them.

There was a Rali (sp) plastic body plane imported from Switz in the 1980s that used a lightweight disposable blade. I don't think it sold well. I picked one up at an auction a few years back for $5. When I flogged it on the bay I got about $25 for it from a guy in Germany. He was glad to get it, said they were very rare and went for 80-100 Euro on German Ebay.

Replaceable blades, huh? So it's a plane subscription service?

The blade has two cutting edges and nothing says you can't hone the dull edge.

How many remember the 4 Edge planes..
    4 Edge plane, sole view.jpg
    If one edge got dull, rotate for the next sharp edge..
    4 Edge plane, top view.jpg
    This one has an Aluminum Body, BTW...

There WAS a brand of small planes, that used a razor blade ( Wilkinson Sword brand, no less) Brand I think was by Little Giant?
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

That's what I remember too, the little plane that used razor blades. We had one in our tool drawer in the basement when I was a kid. About all it was good for was breaking the sharp corners on soft woods (That's what my Uncle told me). Later I used it when making balsa airplane models. Must've fallen overboard somewhere. Seemed more like a toy than a tool, but it made short work of turning balsa strips that were a little too thick into balsa strips that are way too thin.

Thanks for the memory! (Glad the boss is on the mend!)

DC

Have one of those too for airplanes but I can’t remember if I ever used it.

There were 2, by Little Giant....one was a teardrop shape..used a double edged razor blade...had both a flat sole and a curved sole...depending on which direction you went. The other was strictly a flat sole, single edged plane, that had a spot to attach a handle to push it along.
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

I had a crappy Stanley block plane about 20 years ago that used disposable blades. Was yellow in color. Total garbage.

Blog Entries
    I have one of those antique razor blade planes. If I do not find it soon I am going to order the modern version that uses a single edge utility razor blade.
    Best Regards, Maurice