Thread: Viscosity conversion

Viscosity conversion

Is there a reliable source for a viscosity conversion chart/calculator out there?

I am entering the spray finish world. I bought a quart each of Target Coatings EM2000 & EM6000 in satin.

Target Coatings specs are #2 Zahn.

I measured both with a #4 Ford that came with my hvlp system.

Target specs EM6000 @ 35-40 s, #2 Zahn (also saw a 2nd source from TC, 30-35 s #2 Zahn)
    I measured 28-30 s, #4 Ford (65 deg F)

Target specs EM2000 @ 35-40 s, #2 Zahn
    I measured 18-20 s, #4 Ford (65 deg F)

I used an online calculator to convert #2 Zahn (35-40 s) to #4 Ford (21-25 s)
    I looked at some other charts that give various conversions between the Zahn and Ford.
    Some were slightly lower, some higher.

It appears my measurements are on the low end of the TC spec for EM2000 and the high end for EM6000

Is this normal for the viscosity to vary across this range based on the manufacturer’s specs?
    When a glue bottle is open, your IQ drops 50 points. - Chris Schwarz, The Anarchist’s Workbench

While I own a Ford cup, I've never employed it. I've been using these finishes for many years now and just know how to set up the gun initially for them and then tweak it on a vertical piece of cardboard to get things dialed in. Both the EM6000 and the EM2000 are very easy to spray and neither are "thick" coatings. (The EM6500 tinted solid finish is quite a bit thicker and requires a completely different gun setup) In my gun wih the PPS system, it's the 1.3mm NN plus one and a quarter turns on on the fluid knob to start with 45 PSI heading toward the fun from my spraying regulator. I do not thin anything, but might use a little extender if I'm spraying a large surface. I honestly don't think that you need to worry about the minor variations in the spec vs the Ford cup for these finishes because the gun itself adds most of the variables. The Ford cup, however, is very valuable when you are needing to figure out some finish that you don't have specs on so you can choose your initial gun setup. Otherwise, do a basic setup, put some finish in your gun and spray some finish to figure it out for the first time. Yes, you burn some finish which has a little cost, but you get to know how it works so all the subsequent times you use it, you'll have a quicker setup and know you'll have good results. Every new finishing product you use requires "practice", IMHO.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Honestly, unless your measurements show a drastic difference from the specs., it doesn't matter. What does matter is that you install the right N/N set on your gun for the viscosity you measured, and learn how to adjust the gun so that it sprays well. Right those down. When you get the next gallon, check it and if it's within 5 seconds either way the same gun parameters should work with only minor tweaking.

John

Jim/John,

Thanks for the feedback. Honestly, it was what I expected, don’t worry about the manufacturer specs, just go by the actual product in hand. Just trying to learn all I can ..

Thanks,
    Jay
    When a glue bottle is open, your IQ drops 50 points. - Chris Schwarz, The Anarchist’s Workbench

Blog Entries
    https://www.clearcoproducts.com/pdf/...sion-Chart.pdf

(I found this one and have it printed off.)
    Yes, I have 3 phase!