Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Height adjustable bench

Height adjustable bench

Charlie Kocourek's height adjustable plans are based on using a motorcycle jack or an RV jack like -
    https://www.princessauto.com/en/2-pk...t/PA0008516684

His idea uses a drill on the end of the jack's threaded rod. I'm thinking a small stationary motor and nut on the arbour connected to the threaded road to raise and lower the jack.

Does anybody here have any ideas.

​​​​​​​Thanks.
    Howard Rosenberg

I have seen a few doctor exam tables with motor lifts for cheap at recycle places. No doctor wants a piece of rusty metal with ripped upulostry.
    Bill D

Both of my height adjustable benches use the Noden Adjust-A-Bench system; my main bench has the original all steel version and my auxiliary bench uses the "Craftsman Hardware" version where the mechanisms are made of metal and one makes the other components in the shop from plywood/wood.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Depends on how hefty you need your bench, but Home Depot has these that look decent:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-62...DB12/301810799

It says it's rated for up to 300 pounds.

Bill, Jim and Bert - thank you for your replies.

Bill, the doctor's exam tables are a good idea - thanks.
    Jim - I've seen those - a little spendy for my intentions - thanks.
    Bert - I've seen those at HD. But I've never figured they're sturdy enough for a woodworking bench - do you have any personal experience with them?

Thanks guys.
    Howard Rosenberg

What the heck. Go ahead and order a FAT300 from Felder and cry once. On my Christmas list.

I like your style! Way beyond my budget. But make sure to keep us posted when you DO get it!
    Howard Rosenberg

The base of a barber chair might be a good starting point.
    Hydraulic lifts can leak down, jack screw units will not drift down.
    Bill D.

Blog Entries
    Where do pieces of medical equipment go? My dad was a dentist and I would love one of those lights. Or use the lift part of the chair for a workbench…

With most of the import low grade lifts, the joints in the scissor system are too loose for me to consider them a bench support. You will get a wobbling top that won't even be good for using a hand held router. If you just want an adjustable assembly bench, use Jim Becker's advice.

Along the lines of what Richard mentioned, the "poor man's" adjustable work surface uses rectangular boxes for support which can provide essentially three different bench heights with the alternative version using supports that slip together with half-laps and look like "X"s from above...which theoretically provides for any heights you require by just making multiple sets of the supports. That said, I like the systems I used because "they just work" and are easy to adjust. If you're not going to put truly heavy stuff on the surface, Husky has crank type adjustable work surfaces and you can also use electrified sit/stand desk supports for the same. Lots of options here!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

one guy I worked for used his fork lift. Last thing around here that went up and down was my parents hospital bed. Im not sure about the range from low to high or weight capacity but it worked well and ive loaned it to several families so nice we had it.

Hi Howard What are you going for?

Powered is going to be a bigger challenge and probably won't feel rock solid. Manual can be better if it meets your need. Lift one end and insert a pin or two then the other end.

If it will live on wheels it isn't easy to get the rock solid feel anyway.

A second bench at a different height may be an option. It's what fits in my small shop.

Thanks Tom.

I've often thought two bench heights - I've used the same 34.5" bench for nearly 25 years. But it's a real estate question in my small shop....
    Howard Rosenberg

My small bench is 24" square and 43" high. It's really handy for close work. It's built on an antique table saw pedestal.

NW.jpg