Thread: Sometimes it's the simple things that make a big difference

Sometimes it's the simple things that make a big difference

Today I had an idea that in retrospect seems obvious. Once I had the idea it only took about 15 minutes, some scraps, and 7 screws, and now I have a convenient, organized way to store the go bars by the go bar deck. Before I used to keep them on top of it, bundled by size, but sometimes the bundles would come undone and get mixed. The new organizer is out of the way in the ceiling joists, and has a back so that when the bars are pushed in alll the way I can easily identify the length of the ones I need. I have four lengths, one for gluing braces and three for closing different guitar soundbox depths. I've made four guitar-bodied octave mandolins in the last month, and have been using the go bars a lot, which I guess is what finally brought the storage question to the front of the remains of my mind.
    Attached Images Attached Images

nice and simple works the best
    Ron

Whats a go bar? a go no-go gauge?
    Bill D

Im seem to remember you are extra tall so you can reach into the attic easily.
    Bill D

A go bar is basically a stick of slightly springy wood (or similar propertied material like fiberglass) propped against the ceiling (or a reduced height "celling" called a go bar deck) to put pressure on the work to hold things.

Historically they got used to "clamp" things like harpsichord or piano soundboards. They have the virtues of being cheap and fast to install, important in the days when hot hide glue was your only option.

They are still popular among instrument builders, especially for clamping things in the centers of instruments where it is difficult to use a traditional clamp and nails/screws aren't an option. Sound bars on guitars are a common example, and custom piano and harpsichord builders still use them for installing soundboards.

That's a really good solution that uses available space near where those hold-downs are needed for your work!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...