Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small Parts Organizer Storage Rack

Small Parts Organizer Storage Rack

Has anyone made a Adam Savage Sortimo style rack system https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OPSbF6kM9k&t=220s for the cheaper Harbor Freight or Stanley style organizers.

I managed to pick up 8 large & 16 small Harbor Freight organizers during a sale that HF recently had.
    Because of Harbor Freights coupon policy's & item limits it took me 4-days & trips to two different stores to get them all, but I ended up saving 30% on all of them!
    IMG_0395.jpgIMG_0396.jpg

I'm looking for some ideas of how to make the rack system for them.
    The normal style set-up where you just remove the whole organizer would be the easiest, but in my garage any flat surface with over 1sq-foot usually gets something piled up on it.

I've thought about using trays/shelves with full extension drawer slides so that the organizer can stay in the rack & still allow the lid to open, but I'm not sure the added expense is really worth it?

Something like this one shown here: https://youtu.be/0--7CZCVngM?t=709 that has a pull-out shelf would probably work. At-least with a pull-out shelf, it shouldn't get piled up with stuff. As long as I push it back in when it's not needed.

Doug

You might consider building a frame with 1/4" dadoes in the sides. Make shelves out of 1/4"hard board and mount the containers to the shelves.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I built a system based off that Wesley Treat video and have absolutely loved it. I modified mine a bit due to space constraints, but it's been amazing at keeping things organized. I wouldn't put the organizers in individual drawers- that will cost a fortune in drawer slides and extra drawer material, and it's simpler to grab a box then put it at a convenient level. I didn't do a full drawer in mine, just a thin sheet of plywood that sticks out big enough to set one of the units on. Bending over to get to the bottom ones, opening the clasps, then fishing around would be a pain- it's much easier to yoink the container out of the slot and plop it on a pull-out shelf.

Plus, the fact that it sticks out is something of a plus- it makes me want to actually put things away, since otherwise I'd be bumping into the drawer all the time.

BTW, Wesley's been talking about adding plans for that to his website at some point but it's not available yet. Of course the HF ones are a little different from the Stanley ones so you'd have to adjust the size anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naUzeYJ3hl4&t=1s

Something like this but less of an arc. you dont need it to tilt as far

My second offering would be to have the entire rack raised and have a slideout shelf at the bottom so that you pull out resting spot remove the sortimo and place it on the shelf then put it back and slide shelf back in.

I can find what I'm looking for usually easiest in our local Ace Hardware aisles. I gave up trying to keep enough here other than fasteners I use frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by Bert McMahan View Post
    I built a system based off that Wesley Treat video and have absolutely loved it. I modified mine a bit due to space constraints.
    Yeah, I would do the same thing! I wouldn't need the added drawers & mine wouldn't be as tall.

I wouldn't put the organizers in individual drawers- that will cost a fortune in drawer slides and extra drawer material
    I wasn't thinking of actual individual drawers, more like shelves/trays that would hold the organizers. I saw this type of set-up with slides that looks like it would work good. The HF organizers have a recessed area in-between two tabs that allows a thin piece or wood to be used to locate the container.
    IMG_0398 2 .jpg
    Storage Container With Slides .jpg

The added cost of the drawer slides is a concern, But as you pointed out!
    Bending over to get to the bottom ones, opening the clasps, then fishing around would be a pain, and it's simpler to grab a box then put it at a convenient level.
    Maybe a combination of the two styles, slides on the upper section & pull-out slots for the lower section?

Doug

I built a rack that's been holding up so far. I just used 1/4" "lattice" from Lowes on the side of the case, the sides of the cases slide over them.

This youtube video was the most helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02itX-iYWKU It also shows to angle the front ends of the rails so they don't stop abruptly when pushed in.

Interesting to note the double height ones don't need special slides made for them, they just take up two slots instead of one.

Blog Entries
    Similar tackle boxes, similar challenge.

New Tackle Box Cubbies(3).jpgparts-cab-sm.jpg

I tend to keep it simple. I must have 50 or so of this format now. Very happy with the system.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Similar tackle boxes, similar challenge.

New Tackle Box Cubbies(3).jpgparts-cab-sm.jpg

I tend to keep it simple. I must have 50 or so of this format now. Very happy with the system.
    Glenn, are the shelves fixed in place or do they slide out?
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    Glenn, are the shelves fixed in place or do they slide out?
    Fixed. All my tackle boxes are the same form factor.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Fixed. All my tackle boxes are the same form factor.
    Thanks.

I have a lot of small parts (for my Steampunk builds) in similar tackle boxes and plan to build a cabinet for them very much like yours.
    I couldn't see any reason to make sliding shelves when the boxes themselves can be slid out.
    But I was curious as to how you did yours.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

See what you started Doug, 😊 now I know how to use discount codes, coupons
    Lots good ideas going on in this post

Being you’re a fan of the Toob, I’m surprised you haven’t wanted this :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0--7CZCVngM&t=709s

Seems to be everything you asked for.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    Being you’re a fan of the Toob, I’m surprised you haven’t wanted this :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0--7CZCVngM&t=709s

Seems to be everything you asked for.
    This is what I was thinking.