Thread: Bandsaw dilemma

Bandsaw dilemma

I currently have two bandsaws, a 14" Delta clone that I keep a narrow blade on to do curved work and a Laguna 14-12 that I have setup for re-saw work. My dilemma is that I was just offered a Grizzly G0513X2F bandsaw. The issue is that it will need some to a lot of work to get it back in good running order. It was under cover but outside and is a bit rusty and at least needs new tire and bearing. I am just wondering if the G0513X2F would be that much better than my Laguna (I just bought a new Resaw King blade for it that is still in the box). I am thinking that I will just get the G0513X2F and rebuild it, then decide what to do with all of the saws.

Which one has better dust collection? Bearings and a tire is under $50. Sanding cast iron I saw no improvement after 400 or 600 grit sandpaper on the ROS. I went to 1,200 grit to be sure and saw no change
    Bill D

If you were offered the Grizzly for free, then I would think about it. But if you have to buy it and parts, stay with what you have. That Grizzly bandsaw wouldn't be much of an upgrade.

I would get it and get it up in shape and then decide. There are not a lot of major differences but a foot brake would be one. Also two dust collection ports.

1st question I’d ask is : what’s the acquisition cost & what’s your time worth ?

2: How certain are you it only needs a cleanup, bearing , and new tires ? Stored outside ain’t great. Except in the desert.

3. What is it about the griz that you think is better than the 14/12 ? What will it allow you to do that you can’t with the 14/12 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    1st question I’d ask is : what’s the acquisition cost & what’s your time worth ?

2: How certain are you it only needs a cleanup, bearing , and new tires ? Stored outside ain’t great. Except in the desert.

3. What is it about the griz that you think is better than the 14/12 ? What will it allow you to do that you can’t with the 14/12 ?
    Are you sure it even runs? Stored outside might have more issues than expected. How is the motor and other electrical. Is the base rusted if it was sitting on the ground? I sure wouldn't get rid of the Laguna. If you restore the Grizzly and it's in great shape, i'd keep that and the Laguna. The Laguna can take narrow blades and take the place of the delta clone.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

I agree with the cautions folks are expressing. At a minimum, a complete tear down is going to be required to be sure any rust and corrosion is eliminated including from hidden areas. There may be a need to replace things like bearings. None of that is a problem if you have the time and inclination to do the work and the end results could be very nice. OTOH, the Grizzly saw isn't "old iron" and you also have to consider that it's not dramatically different than any other 14" bandsaw in general...it's a mass market product...so balancing the effort (any any restoration expense) vs what you end up with truly requires consideration. Personally, I'd jump at restoration for "old iron", but would want something "mo modern" to require less effort. But that's me.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The decision was made for me. The Grizzly was a free saw and I help a guy get it to his house. He is in the same boat, needing to decide if he want to restore it and sell off his Delta 14". He is going to keep it and restore it.
    At the same give away I picked up a free Dewalt 788 scroll saw and 611 trim router with both bases, all free.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave VanDewerker View Post
    The decision was made for me. The Grizzly was a free saw and I help a guy get it to his house. He is in the same boat, needing to decide if he want to restore it and sell off his Delta 14". He is going to keep it and restore it.
    At the same give away I picked up a free Dewalt 788 scroll saw and 611 trim router with both bases, all free.
    Wow nice grab on the free tools if they are in good shape. I've been thinking of a scroll saw for years when my kids both tested one out at a woodworking show, but I felt they would use it for a week and it would just sit there. However I just saw the 788 on sale for 399 and it's tempting.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!