Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is This Punxsutawney Phil's Idea of an Early Spring?

Blog Entries

Is This Punxsutawney Phil's Idea of an Early Spring?

This is what was foretold:

Punxsutawney Phil Says.png

This is what it looked like yesterday morning:

Early Spring? March 2, 2024.jpg

We got a bit more over last night.

Some locations among the higher elevations in California received as much as seven feet of snow over the weekend. Don't put the skis away just yet.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    This is what was foretold:

Punxsutawney Phil Says.png

This is what it looked like yesterday morning:

Early Spring? March 2, 2024.jpg

We got a bit more over last night.

Some locations among the higher elevations in California received as much as seven feet of snow over the weekend. Don't put the skis away just yet.

jtk
    It's not done snowing yet either. The forecast for the Sierras has it snowing off and on for another week, though little accumulation.

We eastern Washingtonians always smile when the West siders whine about a little snow. Seriously though, we’ve had a very mild winter so far and recently it has been so nice that I’ve been forced to abandon the lathe and go outside to start doing yard work.😤 Now Jim if you would quit hogging all the moisture and send some over the mountains it would be appreciated.

Your just too far from Punxsutawney...I just got home from my 4th motorcycle ride of 2024. It is 61 deg and sunshining here in NW PA.

64 degrees at our place in MA yesterday. This "winter" has been a little scary actually. Hope there's been enough cold for the apples, no hope of killing off any ticks.

Location, location, location...here near Phil's little hole in the world, its 62ºF today and partly sunny. We're having mid April weather and have been since late February.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

It's 76 today in Missouri, well above average. Temps bouncing between AC and Furnace for last 10 days and the next.
    < insert spurious quote here >

74° here in Columbus right now. Lawn and landscape weeds already going strong. But.... Snow possible on Sunday. I don't give the fruit and flowering trees much chance this spring. I gotta think the buds are going to get clobbered with a deep freeze.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

It's been in the 80s.

It's not normally in the 80s this time of year. It's been in the 60s in Northern Wisconsin, that's also weird. Normal weather is getting passé
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

High of 84° today. Seems like spring to me.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

It's 70 degrees at this moment here in West central Illinois. There was a tornado warning about 40 mile west of me that's now expired. I was working outside in my Tee-shirt today.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    74° here in Columbus right now. Lawn and landscape weeds already going strong. But.... Snow possible on Sunday. I don't give the fruit and flowering trees much chance this spring. I gotta think the buds are going to get clobbered with a deep freeze.
    That happened here last year. It was a low fruit production year for sure.
    This year seems so far so good, although there was hail not far away this past weekend.
    The weather used to be looked at season by season, now it's day by day.

We had an inch or two of snow last night, first time I recall getting snow in March in the 25 years we've lived here. Sunny but cool during the day with below freezing temps overnight. Seems like the weather here in Metro Vancouver is getting more and more like the weather in Southern Ontario where I grew up. The year I was born, the worst snow storm of the year was on my birthday March 11 according to my late mother.

Blog Entries
    Remember that fuzzy critter is only correct 30% of the time. By merely flipping a coin you could be correct 50% of the time.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Bermuda grass starting to turn green here. Quit feeding hay for this Winter.