Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: table saw outfeed table

yes they do but to suggest you need have to have one to do the job is not accurate. There are failures from people that used J rollers. Top shops I knew used more white glue and a press.

When i need to know stuff I call pros like techs who make and sell the stuff. They have seen failures from people that use J rollers. This is an assembly table you can go around it and use a rubber mallet strikes then something for internal pressure. If someone cant do that with out having a failure there is some other issue. Or if that is not believed go to home depot and buy one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    yes they do but to suggest you need have to have one to do the job is not accurate. There are failures from people that used J rollers. Top shops I knew used more white glue and a press.

When i need to know stuff I call pros like techs who make and sell the stuff. They have seen failures from people that use J rollers. This is an assembly table you can go around it and use a rubber mallet strikes then something for internal pressure. If someone cant do that with out having a failure there is some other issue. Or if that is not believed go to home depot and buy one.

If you choose not to roll it , it’s your business. Don’t try to sell me on it. I’ve been putting this crap on since the 80’s with 5 gallons of Weldwood glue and a 7” paint roller.

I feel better about rolling every piece and will continue to do so..

there is no 1st prize, 2nd or 3rd..
    Last edited by jack duren; 03-08-2024 at 2:08 PM.

its one guy doing one piece Jack and it wont fail doing what I said. He can wait for his roller its taken longer to supply this info that works than to do the job. Have a good day.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    its one guy doing one piece Jack and it wont fail doing what I said. He can wait for his roller its taken longer to supply this info that works than to do the job. Have a good day.

It’s going to be okay.

Calling Dr. Phil, Dr. Phil….

Glad I’m retired. Had employees with the same attitude, why? Why? Why?
    Last edited by jack duren; 03-08-2024 at 2:24 PM.

Come on folks, this sounds like a facebook woodworking group, not the Sawmill Creek gang that actually help each other.

I did finally get the j-roller shipping notice - so I suspect it will not take 10 days to get here given FedEx is the carrier. Either way, I could have done this with a kitchen dough roller also, or 10 other ways to do it, but the j-roller seems like the best method for a first-timer.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

Blog Entries
    Pretty easy. A you do or B you don't… there’s no C and no D for none of the above..

And your finally answer is?

I should have suggested you drive over and borrow mine...it's not like it gets used more than a few times in a decade. LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Ole, do you find the holes in your throat plate beneficial? That is something I have thought about adding to my plate.
    Looks kind of cool. but frankly, not sure it helps much.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I should have suggested you drive over and borrow mine...it's not like it gets used more than a few times in a decade. LOL
    It was like $12 or something like that - and now delivery is Wed the 13th. I appreciate the offer though, and it might have triggered me to buy the lot next door
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

Quote Originally Posted by justin rapp View Post
    it was like $12 or something like that - and now delivery is wed the 13th. I appreciate the offer though, and it might have triggered me to buy the lot next door
    roflol!!!!!!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I was thinking that too- I have one of those somewhere that hasn't been used in a decade or more.

Justin, I have done many cabinet jobs over the years using Formica. Different people have mentioned “sticks” to keep the Formica from touching when applying. I found stiff cardboard works much better. I use a 1” paint brush on the narrow parts, and a 4” paint roller for the larger parts. I always applied two coats of contact cement the MDF, and one coat to the laminate. I have never had a piece of Formica come loose. Before applying the Formica to the wood, the contact cement should be dry enough to the touch (slightly sticky is fine). When it is dry and ready to put together, I lay the cardboard on the MDF covering everything except about two inches of one end. Carefully, apply the Formica on the MDF. Then I carefully start to pull the cardboard out, and at the same time I start rolling the Formica in the direction of the cardboard. When rolling it make sure you are rolling it evenly across. Keep doing this until you have the cardboard out, and the piece of Formica is completely down. If you see any “air pockets” in the Formica you can use a small rubber mallet to get them down. When you have the piece completed if you look at an angle you can see any bubbles in your job. If you make a mistake, you can remove the piece of Formica using a squirt bottle filled with lacquer thinner. Start at one end, squirt the thinner under one corner and keep lifting while applying the thinner between the wood and laminate. Then, all you have to do is reapply a single coat to both surfaces and start over. When finished make sure you roll all the edges well. Things to watch for before applying the laminate: make sure there are no heavy glue lumps, or anything which might get between them. Such as: routed piece of laminate. I always take my hand a run it over both surfaces to check.

This is a great post. Thank you Gary
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Blog Entries
    Cardboard is kinda risky. If you have a puddle that didn’t dry as well, it could stick. Any woodworker doing one piece of laminate will probably do another. Probably better to make some wood sticks for laminate for now and further work..

I did similar to what Derek Cohen showed. I made a large MFT that doubles as an outfeed/assembly table. I made it as a torsion box to keep it relatively flat and finished the MDF with thinned poly. The surface is very durable and resists glue very well. I also like the size for breaking down full sheets of plywood with a track saw and Dashboard's track saw brackets. These are the only 2 pictures I have and apologize for the sideways pic. I didn't want to take the time to fix it.

tablesaw_outfeed.jpg outfeed table.jpg