Thread: if I dont have a cell can I text from my computer

if I dont have a cell can I text from my computer

Is there a simple not to complicated way? Right now have a guy who moves machines and he doesnt have email. Id rather Text than phone as he can respond when it wants rather than stop work for a phone call. I see its possible but will have to read more to see how complicated it is.

Yes, you can use online messaging services like Google Voice or web-based texting platforms to send texts from your computer without needing a cell phone. It's a convenient way for your machine-moving guy to respond at his convenience.

I sync my phone (texts, photos, and calls) with my Windows 11 laptop. Besides being able to text with a full keyboard, it's a ton easier to move photos from phone to laptop. Before i started syncing, i'd take pictures of tools/projects in my garage or basement, then e-mail them to me, download and save to laptop. Now...i still take the pics with phone but can open them directly on computer. Life is much better now.
    EDIT--i missed the part about not having a cell phone...what i just typed doesn't help in your case, but it's still true. My brain will work better after my oatmeal kicks in!!
    Last edited by Earl McLain; 03-04-2024 at 7:02 AM.

one more thouight now I run win 7 on the main computer so that may enter into it have another with win 10 but dont like the bells and whistles and clutter compared just dont need it.

I do transfer lots of info from one computer online to another offline and use a memory stick its a bit of a bother but not much

Blog Entries
    Depending on whether the guy's cell provider supports it or not you can simply email to the phone number. For example I could email to an ATT cell customer by appending "@text.att.net" to their phone number in the email address field of my chosen email product. That is instead of putting MachineMovingGuy@gmail.com in the "to" field I would put 2135551212@text.att.net. 2135551212 representing the Machine Moving Guy's actual cell number and assuming he uses AT&T. Other examples:

• T-Mobile: @tmomail.net for SMS and MMS
    • Verizon: @vtext.com for SMS or @vzwpix.com for MMS
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    one more thouight now I run win 7 on the main computer so that may enter into it have another with win 10 but dont like the bells and whistles and clutter compared just dont need it.

I do transfer lots of info from one computer online to another offline and use a memory stick its a bit of a bother but not much
    You are living very dangerously by running Windows 7. That OS is much more vulnerable to worms, viruses, Trojan Horses, hacking and you name it. But it is your choice.

I don't like the newer versions of Windows either, but it's an unfortunate requirement to even somewhat secure for any computer connected to the Internet.

I drive a 50 year old truck and it works well. Win 7 service pack one works well and is stable not had one issue with this current computer in years. I keep my info on a 4 Terra drive on another win 7 with no cable on it. Mujibar and Vladimir are not getting in. Doesnt stop the one or two scammer calls a week I get probably average 3 - 4 a month but not going to unplug my phone. Yes a phone plugged into the wall.

I have more than once had computer stores tell me I have to have 11, then when we talk and find out we grew up in the same area or something in common their story changes and I hear negative stuff from them, the very people who had just finished telling me I had to have 11 because they find out something in common or past people ive worked for. One of them even saying his favourite was 3.1 or something ive never heard of and his son uses XP. XP is a thing I need to be able to run a Tech 2 scanner for the Roadmaster.

Appreciate your concern, really, not being sarcastic even if I do have the gene. My 55 year old or more SCM stuff is the same as when it was made other than a few thou worn off the tables from so much use over the years, even at that likely more true than some of the new stuff people buy now at several times the cost. I dont buy into a fair bit of stuff we are told, some amount is rigged and its not in our favour.

I use these boxes tons even if im not really a computer guy. Young kids could do 300 things I dont know how do.

Appreciate the help as always, ill likely call him shortly as he will be home and work day done. I lost the farmers here as their 150 acres has homes growing out of it now. I will save what you said and try it when a bit more time. Sometimes computer stuff done works instantly and sometimes like today power company had to help and in that talk clear I was not alone. Lady was excellent and new a work around. thanks.

We did it old fashioned way, tried to talk while he was driving home, cell phone signal was crappy. Waited till home and a bit better still not like a land line plugged into the wall,. His skid steer is not enough to load a heavier machine and he said he could bring the Telehandler. I just realized I didnt get one thing he said as I talked about those tree bucket machines his telehandler can reach 50 feet. Now will have to call back seems he once said he was getting a bucket for it if that is possible.
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 03-04-2024 at 11:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    You are living very dangerously by running Windows 7. That OS is much more vulnerable to worms, viruses, Trojan Horses, hacking and you name it. But it is your choice.

I don't like the newer versions of Windows either, but it's an unfortunate requirement to even somewhat secure for any computer connected to the Internet.
    It often boils down to "the-devil-you-know". After using W10, I went gone back to look at something on an old W7 computer and after a few clicks wondered why did I think it was so great. Of course, there are the things under the hood of the later versions that aren't obvious at the UI level.
    Us humans typically don't like change. There are many new features in W10,11 that might be beneficial for my work but I don't use them because I just carry on clicking the old way I'm familiar with, without putting any effort into learning.
    Last edited by Bill Howatt; 03-05-2024 at 9:41 AM.

Gee I just turned 80 and I have used a smart phone (now iPhone 11) since my last Blackberry was no longer supported. Held off from Windows 10 for many years until they finally got the bugs worked out then I dumped my Win 7 Pro and never looked back. I now have 3 Windows 10 Pro computers, 4 counting the NUC in the shop running my lasers. Oh and I have another NUC running Linux Mint. If your going to stay up to date in todays world you need to keep learning!!!
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    It's all "bells and whistles and clutter" until you actually need it.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.