Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Economics of milling vs store bought hardwoods?

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    I did some badly needed maintenance on the Woodmizer and its working as it should again. New blade guides, new blade wheel belts, and a box of 5 blades = $348.20. I "got out" 10 6x6s, white oak and black locust, plus some 1x6s. I can't pay myself much but I am encouraged. The project is a little barn to park the mill under. If I am going to have the roof on by winter I will have to buy some framing lumber.

Attachment 522125
    Yep, those are the prices I'm seeing too.
    I have a feeling that mine will be under a cover this winter, not a solid structure but that's okay.
    I would say 10 6x6's is worth more than the price of 5 blades, so at least you're not loosing money.
    What blades are you using, $350 for a box of 5 is about double what I just paid.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    I hope someone in the DC area snags some of the Yoshino Cherry that is being removed. It is not highly desirable for lumber but would be a fun novelty. Turning the trees into mulch is the plan according to what I heard on NPR.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...ise-180983999/
    Here is what I got out of our Yoshino Cherry yard tree. I think I will be able to find a spot that will yield a mandolin back and sides. I also have an opportunity to mix up some electric blue epoxy. : )

IMG_1716.jpegIMG_2094 2.jpg IMG_2086 3.jpg IMG_2096.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 06-30-2024 at 6:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    Yep, those are the prices I'm seeing too.
    I have a feeling that mine will be under a cover this winter, not a solid structure but that's okay.
    I would say 10 6x6's is worth more than the price of 5 blades, so at least you're not loosing money.
    What blades are you using, $350 for a box of 5 is about double what I just paid.
    The service kit was more than the blades New blade guides, new blade wheel belts, and a box of 5 blades = $348.20 = Just under $30 each for WoodMizer Double Hards.
    Here is my janky little wood lot and saw shed project.

IMG_2093.jpgIMG_2095.jpg
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 06-30-2024 at 6:47 PM.