Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5 foot round dining table build

5 foot round dining table build

As a wedding gift I am building my niece a 5 foot round dining table. I have never made a large round dining room table, and found some nice plans by Jon Peters on Youtube.

lily table 1.jpg

I am building mine in Pennsylvania cherry

lily table rough lumber.jpgrough lumber 2.jpg

Lumber stacked and acclimating

lily table 3.jpg

Base consists of 8/4 cherry in a bridle joint mortised and tenoned to legs

lily table 3.1.jpglily table 4.jpg

Mortised with my largest mortise chisel, a Narex 1/2 inch. I really need something longer and stronger to lever out the chips, but is the Ray Iles
    really worth over $100?.

lily table mortising.jpg

dining table continued

Tenons were 2 inches long, but 6 inches wide. Glad I had the LN 16 inch tenon saw, which is usually at bit long , but perfect for this job. A lot of work for these tenons.

Table build 10.jpg

Legs trimmed and waiting for glue up

Table build 11.jpg

Table top is next. Got some 6 foot clamps in for the project. Pictures will follow.

The build continues with the cross braces under the table top joined by a half lap joint. Using hand tools I found these joints a lot of work. I made them much faster with hand tools this time by...cross cutting outside of joint with hand saw, then repeating the cuts across the joint, then using a carving gouge to hog out most of the waste. This step, using the carving gouge with a mallet, really helped. I then used a router plane to level things off.

lap joint 1.jpglap joint 2.jpglap joint 3.jpg

Nice looking design and your work is always inspiring. And I'm jealous of your access to cherry!
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

What I don't like about 5' tables is the distance between people sitting across from each other. Pretty hard to pass a heavy platter of meat that far away. Especially for the more elder folks if only two sitting at the table. Not going to be a treat hand planing it either. You'll have to switch hands to final plane the glued up panel.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    Nice looking design and your work is always inspiring. And I'm jealous of your access to cherry!
    Thanks Chris! I do enjoy Pennsylvania cherry.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    What I don't like about 5' tables is the distance between people sitting across from each other. Pretty hard to pass a heavy platter of meat that far away. Especially for the more elder folks if only two sitting at the table. Not going to be a treat hand planing it either. You'll have to switch hands to final plane the glued up panel.
    Yes Richard, I would not have done a 5 foot round table, but that is what my niece wanted...luckily the new couple is about 30 years of age. Smoothing after glue up should be a work out.

Looking good so far! My uncle bought an antique table that was very similar. He complained about passing dishes across. So I made him a large lazy Susan. I think I got the bearing from Woodcraft, and made the top out of an old pine door to match in a bit better with the "pumpkin pine" table top. As I recall, it was 30 inches in diameter and stood about 5-inches tall.

DC

Quote Originally Posted by David Carroll View Post
    Looking good so far! My uncle bought an antique table that was very similar. He complained about passing dishes across. So I made him a large lazy Susan. I think I got the bearing from Woodcraft, and made the top out of an old pine door to match in a bit better with the "pumpkin pine" table top. As I recall, it was 30 inches in diameter and stood about 5-inches tall.

DC
    David, I like the lazy susan idea. Perhaps as an anniversary gift for the couple!

Went to bed at 10PM, slept like a log to 2:30AM. Bathroom visit. Wide awake. Go down to shop at 3AM...time for a glue up. Bridle joint was a bit tight, needed some solid dead blow hammer strikes - YIKES - loud! I didn't want to wake household. It all came together. Top is next.

table base.jpg

Nice work so far! You should be proud of yourself.

If the table is "too big" to pass around food or whatever, they can sit next to each other instead of across from one another and solve that problem. It'll also give them both a better view of the TV and promote bonding. We have a natural instinct to become more aggressive and defensive towards those who are directly in front of us and a natural instinct to be more accepting to those who are beside us. It's a good tidbit of psychology to know that comes in handy in everyday life, especially if you do a lot of business with strangers.

Where’s the like button?

I like it , it’s modern …in a GOOD way . In the 1950’s your neighbors would have reported it as “a flying saucer”.
    Today people will know it’s a table, we’ve come so far .

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    I like it , it’s modern …in a GOOD way . In the 1950’s your neighbors would have reported it as “a flying saucer”.
    Then they don’t have to be worried about the probing? That’s good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Harris View Post
    Nice work so far! You should be proud of yourself.

If the table is "too big" to pass around food or whatever, they can sit next to each other instead of across from one another and solve that problem. It'll also give them both a better view of the TV and promote bonding. We have a natural instinct to become more aggressive and defensive towards those who are directly in front of us and a natural instinct to be more accepting to those who are beside us. It's a good tidbit of psychology to know that comes in handy in everyday life, especially if you do a lot of business with strangers.
    Thanks Jimmy...I enjoy psychology

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Mel, it does look like a flying saucer! My wife agrees!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins View Post
    Where’s the like button?
    Thanks Tony