Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 5 foot round dining table build

Blog Entries
    Looks like a family heirloom in progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post

Mortised with my largest mortise chisel, a Narex 1/2 inch. I really need something longer and stronger to lever out the chips, but is the Ray Iles
    really worth over $100?.

Attachment 516387
    Have you considered a lock mortise chisel? (AKA a Swan Neck Chisel)

Swan Neck:Lock Mortise Chisels.jpg

These two, 1/8" & 1/4" are very helpful cleaning out the bottom of mortises.

USN 3:4%22 Chisel Mortising +1:2%22 swan neck lock mortise.jpg

The large lock mortise chisel on the bench is 1/2". My recollection is it cost me a little more than $50 with shipping.

For a 1/2" mortise a 3/8" lock mortise chisel might be preferred so as to not mar the edges of the mortise.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Looks like a family heirloom in progress.

Have you considered a lock mortise chisel? (AKA a Swan Neck Chisel)

Swan Neck:Lock Mortise Chisels.jpg

These two, 1/8" & 1/4" are very helpful cleaning out the bottom of mortises.

USN 3:4%22 Chisel Mortising +1:2%22 swan neck lock mortise.jpg

The large lock mortise chisel on the bench is 1/2". My recollection is it cost me a little more than $50 with shipping.

For a 1/2" mortise a 3/8" lock mortise chisel might be preferred so as to not mar the edges of the mortise.

jtk
    Good suggestion Jim. The chisel you are hammering looks solid... is that a 1/2 inch mortise chisel? What brand?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    Good suggestion Jim. The chisel you are hammering looks solid... is that a 1/2 inch mortise chisel? What brand?
    That is a 3/4" heavy firmer chisel. It is marked USN on the top side, on the back it is marked Winsted Edge Tool Co. (the maker of Witherby tools)

It set me back $2 at one of my favorite local, second hand stores.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

As always, beautiful work Mark. The Pennsylvania Cherry is beautiful too. The ‘most’ modern I can seem to bring myself is Shaker..

Quote Originally Posted by Robert LaPlaca View Post
    As always, beautiful work Mark. The Pennsylvania Cherry is beautiful too. The ‘most’ modern I can seem to bring myself is Shaker..
    Thanks Robert! Started gluing up the top in sections. My bench is 6 feet long but only 2 feet wide. Trying to figure out how to glue up a 5 foot by 5 foot top.

panel glue up.jpg

Large glue ups like a flat surface, such as the floor. Your clamp collection determines your method. Glueing up two halves separately will probably match your clamps well. When they have fully dried you can match up the final joint. With only one joint being glued you can get away with fewer clamps.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Blog Entries
    Maybe use a glue that doesn't require clamping and do the gluing with the top standing vertical so the weight of the wood holds the joint together.

Hyde glue or epoxy should do it.

jtk

Quote Originally Posted by William Fretwell View Post
    Large glue ups like a flat surface, such as the floor. Your clamp collection determines your method. Glueing up two halves separately will probably match your clamps well. When they have fully dried you can match up the final joint. With only one joint being glued you can get away with fewer clamps.
    good advice William

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Maybe use a glue that doesn't require clamping and do the gluing with the top standing vertical so the weight of the wood holds the joint together.

Hyde glue or epoxy should do it.

jtk
    Nice idea Jim, definitely an option.

Used 4 veritas panel clamps to support panel. Titebond 3

panel glue up.jpg

Very cool build!! I built a round dining table a few years back for our new house. I personally love the looks of a round dining table and see no issue with passing large bowls across the table. I based my design off of Tim Coleman's table that I saw in person at the Gallery at Somes Sound in Somesville, Maine. The gallery is about 15 minutes away and I grew up with the owners son. Tyra, the owner, is an incredibly wonderful person and lets me stop by to check out all the wonderful pieces she has on display from some of the best furniture makers in the country. I was able to look Tim's round table up close and personal to see the joinery details. I made the table from some Honduran Mahogany that was gifted to me from someone who purchased the wood back in the 70's which he got sick of hauling around with him over the years. He intended on building a table at some point but really never got into woodworking.

Posted a couple pictures of the table below, don't mind the ugly carpet and the mixed up chairs. Working on some chairs to match the table now. I also am not trying to hijack your thread, just wanted to compare the different round table designs and confirm that having a round table in your dining room is amazing!

Diningtable_foot1.jpg Diningtable1.jpg Diningtable_joinery1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Shea View Post
    Very cool build!! I built a round dining table a few years back for our new house. I personally love the looks of a round dining table and see no issue with passing large bowls across the table. I based my design off of Tim Coleman's table that I saw in person at the Gallery at Somes Sound in Somesville, Maine. The gallery is about 15 minutes away and I grew up with the owners son. Tyra, the owner, is an incredibly wonderful person and lets me stop by to check out all the wonderful pieces she has on display from some of the best furniture makers in the country. I was able to look Tim's round table up close and personal to see the joinery details. I made the table from some Honduran Mahogany that was gifted to me from someone who purchased the wood back in the 70's which he got sick of hauling around with him over the years. He intended on building a table at some point but really never got into woodworking.

Posted a couple pictures of the table below, don't mind the ugly carpet and the mixed up chairs. Working on some chairs to match the table now. I also am not trying to hijack your thread, just wanted to compare the different round table designs and confirm that having a round table in your dining room is amazing!

Diningtable_foot1.jpg Diningtable1.jpg Diningtable_joinery1.jpg
    Tony, that is a beautiful table. The mahogany really shines. I love mahogany and find it easy to work with hand tools. I will post pics of my table when I am done.

My father made a 5 foot round table when I was a kid. With 7 of us around the table we needed the space. I think his first addition to it was a large lazy susan. Sure made things easier for the littler ones.

Panel glued up. Time for cutting the circle with the frame saw. Jigsaw would be easier, but that's what Neander land is all about.

bowsaw.jpg

Had day off from work

beam on table.jpground table.jpg

Time to put edge profile on table. I will put an undercut, under bevel on the bottom and a quarter round on top. I marked out the under bevel cut with a marking gauge and cut to lines using jack plane and sharp block plane. Will will make scraper with quarter round profile for top.

scribe table.jpgbevel table.jpg