Thread: Advice needed

Advice needed

Hello,

i was wondering if you could give me some advice. I’m just setting up a garage woodshop and I have an older craftsman 14” but would like to replace it with this bandsaw if worth it.

the listing says: “Rockwell Model 20 Vertical Band Saw, does not run, possible electrical issue with the 3 phase controller, switch replaced but did not fix, no rip fence, dents and scratches, as is.

Do you have a guess as to a likely fix to the electrical issue would be? I don’t have phase 3 power what would your suggested fix be? A VFD and keep original motor (would that potentially fix the electrical issue? Would it allow for variable speed?), replace with 1 phase motor? Currently just plan on woodworking but of course having the ability to slow down and cut metal if I ever were to need it would be ideal if not too costly. Grizzly currently has their 2hp TEFC for $330 (10% off). Also I plan on running it at 220v, but their 110/220 motor is the same price as their 220v, is there any reason to buy the fixed 220v over the convertible 110/220?
    How difficult would be a VFD addition?

what would you see as a good price for the saw?

This is the motor sold by grizzly would it be a compatible replacement?

• Power: 2 HP
    • Type: TEFC
    • Cycle: 60 Hz
    • Voltage: 110V/220V
    • Prewired: 110V
    • Amperage: 21A/10.5A
    • Phase: Single-phase
    • Speed: 1725 RPM
    • Class: B
    • Start capacitor: 400MFD 125VAC
    • Run capacitor: 70MFD 250VAC
    • Rotation: Reversible
    • U: 5/8"
    • N: 2.0"
    • Key: 3/16"
    • C: 13.37"
    • O: 11.49"
    • D: 3.50"
    • F: 4.88"
    • E: 5.00"

It may have bigger issues, like a damaged frame or trunions or wheels. i'd pass on it unless it's the deal you need.

Assuming it has no major mechanical issues you could solve the 3 phase motor issue using a variable speed treadmill motor. 2HP might be a stretch but might be worth considering. Treadmill motors show up for free on Craigslist or other marketplace sites regularly and a motor controller can be made for under $100. Check out this website for more info https://dazecars.com/dazed/variable.html, I converted by drill press to a reversable variable speed DC treadmill motor using his advice and it works great.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Assuming it has no major mechanical issues you could solve the 3 phase motor issue using a variable speed treadmill motor. 2HP might be a stretch but might be worth considering. Treadmill motors show up for free on Craigslist or other marketplace sites regularly and a motor controller can be made for under $100. Check out this website for more info https://dazecars.com/dazed/variable.html, I converted by drill press to a reversable variable speed DC treadmill motor using his advice and it works great.
    Have you done that conversion with a bandsaw? In my opinion there is no way a treadmill motor would start a 20" bandsaw. Big bandsaws have the highest starting load of all the other machines in the shop. Getting those big wheels spinning takes a lot of current and is not even remotely close to spinning up a drill press!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Have you done that conversion with a bandsaw? In my opinion there is no way a treadmill motor would start a 20" bandsaw. Big bandsaws have the highest starting load of all the other machines in the shop. Getting those big wheels spinning takes a lot of current and is not even remotely close to spinning up a drill press!
    No, just my drill press and I agree a 20" bandsaw might be too much but maybe worth further investigation to be sure. The Dazecars guy did a bandsaw conversion but a much smaller one. He's quite knowledgeable on this type of conversion and does respond to questions posted in the comments section of his videos so if the OP wants to consider it, it would be worth asking him for an opinion.

Well, if it doesn't work, then it has to be sold "for parts." I doubt I would pay much over $50. It's 3 phase which is incompatible with my shop, so I would probably pass on this.
    Regards,

Tom

Maybe if you can take a look at it and see if everything else is in working order and it was priced low enough that you could replace all of the electronics and still come out okay. But electrical issues can be hard to track down. And they can suffer from cascade effects, where one bad component takes out others, meaning you could spend a lot of money before you figure out what the problem is. So unless you have the right equipment and knowledge to diagnose this type of problem, you could wind up replacing every electrical component, only to find it's wired wrong from the beginning, and keeps blowing new components. It's really easy to blow a ton of money and time on something like this if you're not experienced.

Also, do you need a 20" bandsaw? They're pretty big and heavy. And how would you get it home? It's probably about 600lbs.

Pass. unless you have a good 220 motor for it sitting around. Its not worth taking on a tool of the wrong power with unknown issues and trying to learn VFD as well.

I bought a similar bandsaw, Powermatic model 81, that wasn’t running and needed some TLC.

It now has a VFD and a 1 HP motor, runs nice.

If the saw is in good condition, no broken castings etc, then it could be a good choice.

I put new bearings and tires in mine., no point not replacing bearings when you have the wheels out.

Regards, Rod

I have seen 14” Rockwell BS’s as little as 150.00 and there is one also listed at 1000.00 You be investing sounds like lot money into that saw. I would hold off, keep looking. But when you spot deal, as saying goes be Johnny on spot. But as another saying goes if your late, You snooze you lose