Thread: [HELP] 9A Mastercraft router ••doesn’t seem to work in the bench•• not sure why.

Question [HELP] 9A Mastercraft router ••doesn’t seem to work in the bench•• not sure why.

Hi Everyone,

I've had a 9A (model no. 315.245000) mastercraft router and bench since the early 90's. I've used it outside the bench before on some jigs I set up but now I'd like to use it in the bench. I'm having an incredibly difficult time making this happen.

I've tried plugging the router into the switch, and the switch into an extension cord that then
    goes into the wall. When I remove the key and turn on the switch,the light turns on but the router doesn't, unless I hit the trigger. Of course, I don't want to be doing that since I need my hands to guide the wood along the fence.

At first, I thought it was a faulty switch, so I bought a new router switch on Amazon.
    The same thing, is happening.

On this model, do I need to use a setting somewhere that I'm not aware of on the router itself, before placing in the bench?
    I vaguely remember that might be the case, but I'm not sure where that would be or how to do it. Can anyone help me out please?

IMG_0434.jpgIMG_0433.jpg

Thanks!

Connie

I had a router similar to yours and in order to get the router to stay on without holding the trigger, you had to push in and hold a small button next to the trigger then release the trigger. Once you have done this, the router should turn on and off when plugged into your switch.

IMG_0252.jpeg
    Last edited by Doug Colombo; 03-02-2024 at 7:24 PM.

Welcome to the forum but just for the record that is not a Mastercraft router, it is a Craftsman router, completely different manufacturers. If it has a trigger switch you need to lock it on as the other Doug suggested, then you can turn it on and off with the external switch.

I'm pretty sure there is a locking mechanism but can't say with 100% certainty.
    In the rare chance there isn't you could hold the switch in a depressed state with a zip tie or electrical tape. Since you have had it apart and are familiar with the switch, you could bypass the switch. If I did this, I'd put a warning tag on it so if it is out of the table the person handling it will know if it gets plugged in it will run.
    It never seems to be much of a discussed issue, but I find hand-held routers to be somewhat scary when the bit is installed.

Thanks Doug! Yes, this resolves the issue. Thanks!

Hey Bill, It turned out to be what Doug suggested. Fortunately, no other improvisations are necessary at this point.
    Thanks for the tips!

You’re right Doug! It says so right on the bench in big letters. Thanks for reminding me. I’ve been calling it my mastercraft for decades now. I think I started to call it that because power tools require care in using them or they can be dangerous. At some point it became “Master Craftsman can kill you if you’re not careful” because I was a little intimidated, but I’m better now so…craftsman it is.

Yeah, Mastercraft is the house brand for a chain of stores up here called Canadian Tire (they sell much more than tires) while Craftsman was the house brand for Sears years ago and is now carried by Home Depot. Glad you got it working now.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Yeah, Mastercraft is the house brand for a chain of stores up here called Canadian Tire (they sell much more than tires) while Craftsman was the house brand for Sears years ago and is now carried by Home Depot. Glad you got it working now.
    Mastercraft tires have been around for a long time. An independent place I used years ago for auto work sold them to me. As to current Craftsman...around here, Craftsman is offered by Lowes. It's a Stanley Black and Decker brand.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I don't think Doug is correct, Craftsman is sold in Canada by Rona. Lowes bailed out of Canada a short time ago but there was some kind of arrangement with Rona who now has taken over somehow. Home Depot Canada does sell Black and Decker among other brands though.

I stand corrected, it was Lowes where I saw the resurrection of Craftsman, haven't been in a Rona for a while so haven't seen them there yet. Wasn't aware of the Mastercraft tires Jim mentioned, a quick Google search also shows up a Mastercraft line of boats not related to Canadian Tire (CTC) and surprise to me, Mastercraft tools on Amazon.ca and even on the .com website that appear to be the same as the CTC store brand. I guess nobody ever trademarked Mastercraft since there are a wide range of companies using that name from tires to boats and more.

Yea, even if someone trademarks a name for a particular kind of "thing", it may not preclude the same name being used for some other kind of "thing" as long as they do not compete. I think there are a lot of examples of that out there.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...