Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: source for IEC metric 3 phase motor

source for IEC metric 3 phase motor

I have a Minimax Centauro S600P/MM24 that I bought used. I can easily stop the motor resawing 6-10" hardwood. I presume the previous owner overheated the motor windings.

The original motor is manufactured by Motek. Their motor price is very reasonable, but shipping from Italy to the US is about 1500 euros!

Does anyone know how to purchase a European IEC metric motor in the US? I'm in Los Altos, CA in the San Francisco Bay Area.

3 phase 220 volt 7.5 HP 5.5 kW motor
    IEC 112 frame
    Mount: IEC B5 flange
    IngressProtection: 54
    Class: F (max temp rise 105⁰C)
    Duty: S6 80%
    3480 RPM
    Thanks,

Dennis Yamamoto

I'd look for a shop to repair it, it'll be a lot cheaper. There was a place I used near Palo Alto when I lived in the east bay. But it's been years now.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

try a brand called Elektrim. I think they carry us stock on iec motors

The last one I needed I ordered from ABB/Baldor. It was smaller than what you're looking at, but I'd check with a local dealer. It wasn't cheap, but it just bolted on and has worked perfectly for most of the last decade.

I wouldn't be too quick to order a motor.

Electric motors are the type of thing that either work or don't work, they don't get weak. If you don't have he equipment or knowledge to test the windings I'd take the motor to a repair shop and have them ohm the windings phase to phase and to ground then have them megger the windings. That will tell you the condition of the motor. If the phases aren't balanced or if they're grounded then get a new motor. You could spend a lot of money on a new motor and find out you have a bad bearing on a jack shaft or on one of the wheels, or even worse it could be a belt slipping.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Take the belt off and start the motor, how does it sound? I always check the mechanical things, like missing woodruff keys, set screws, etc. If a key is missing, the motor still spins and the wheel slows down. It's really bad news, because the pulley is spinning on the shaft and wearing the shaft down. A motor can often need bearings, but a big 3 phase motor almost never goes bad in the windings.

When I first got the bandsaw, the belts were old and slipping so I replaced them. I don't think they are slipping now. I suppose I could stop the blade or the lower wheel and see if the pulley is slipping on the motor shaft. Thinking back, I believe the motor just stopped with a moderate load on the blade.

With no blade on the saw, the upper wheel spins fine so I think the upper wheel bearing is fine. Although the lower wheel is connected to the motor with two belts, it seems to spin smoothly with very little resistance. Therefore, my guess is that the lower wheel bearings and motor bearings are good too.

Let me check the motor windings with a multimeter. I can check the continuity of each winding and look for a short between windings and a short to ground.

I'm open to suggestions. Buying a new motor is expensive especially if it is not the problem!

Thanks everyone.

Dennis

Don't forget to check keys and set screws. Bearings are not going to zap horsepower unless they make one hell of a load noise when running.

If your motor ohms out o.k. the other thing to check would be the incoming voltage to the motor. I've seen the condition the electricians would call "single phasing". It's where one leg of the three phase is either dead or under voltage for some reason. Loose connection or a problem with contactors in the starter.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Last edited by Bill Dufour; 03-01-2024 at 1:26 AM.

I removed the jumpers for delta configuration and checked the resistance at the six terminals:
    0.4 ohms between U1 and U2, V1 and V2, W1 and W2.
    infinite between each of the above windings or each pair of terminals
    infinite between all windings and ground
    So there is continuity for each winding, they are not shorted together and none are shorted to ground.

In order to check the pulley key and/or set screw I need to remove the 24" cast iron wheel. I have done this before to replace the belts, and it was some work. Maybe a job for tomorrow. Or maybe I will start the motor with the lower wheel locked in place to see of the motor still spins??

I am using a Phase Perfect to generate 3 phase power. I installed a 3 phase load center to distribute 3 phase to 4 machines: this 7.5 HP bandsaw, a 7.5 HP planer, a 5 HP jointer and small 13 HP widebelt. All of the other three machines have plenty of power.

Many of the Eaton motor starters fail in Minmax Centauro bandsaws, and I did replace this starter and coil when the earlier one failed. I will check the voltages at the motor to make sure all 3 phases are present. I can also check the starter connections to make sure the starter should pass enough current. Maybe I should also swap the 3 phase circuit breakers in the load center to make sure the circuit breaker is not limiting the current?? Or plug the bandsaw into one of the other 3 phase receptacles if I can reach it??

Dennis

The breaker can’t “limit the current” all it can do is open under overload conditions.

Check voltages at the motor under load, you may have a very low voltage on one phase.

Regards, Rod.

Phase perfect recommends replacing the capacitors every three years.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Yamamoto View Post

Many of the Eaton motor starters fail in Minmax Centauro bandsaws, and I did replace this starter and coil when the earlier one failed. I will check the voltages at the motor to make sure all 3 phases are present. I can also check the starter connections to make sure the starter should pass enough current. Maybe I should also swap the 3 phase circuit breakers in the load center to make sure the circuit breaker is not limiting the current?? Or plug the bandsaw into one of the other 3 phase receptacles if I can reach it??

Dennis
    I'd put jumpers around the magnetic starter and turn on the saw with the circuit breaker before I looked for a mechanical issue now.