Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Costco’s return policy for computers

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    For the Mini I just bought Professor Dr. SWMBO, I did put a simple Logitech 'two button plus scrolling roller' mouse with it because she likes to use this roller ball thing that I cannot operate for the life of me. When I sit down to do something for her, I use the mouse.
    Heh. Wifey loves those long-discontinued Logitech Trackman widgets with a golfball-sized thumb-operated trackball. I think I can keep it running for another couple of years, but at some point the price of used ones on Ebay will get stupid, like the old IBM "clacker" keyboards. Whenever I need to tweak her computer, I've got a dedicated Bluetooth mouse...life's too short for me to use that trackball.

She also loves 4:3-aspect monitors, or more to the point, hates the 16:9 and wider ones I use. Those aren't exactly thick on the ground either.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    She also loves 4:3-aspect monitors, or more to the point, hates the 16:9 and wider ones I use. Those aren't exactly thick on the ground either.
    Because of The Professor's eyesight issues, she's now on a 35" wide "nearly anamorphic" ratio monitor and I've finally got her keeping reasonable size windows open for the browser, email and messaging so she can actually see them. Text is also "embiggened".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Because of The Professor's eyesight issues, she's now on a 35" wide "nearly anamorphic" ratio monitor and I've finally got her keeping reasonable size windows open for the browser, email and messaging so she can actually see them. Text is also "embiggened".
    Vision really isn't the issue here: she's using an old Sharp 18" 1280x1024. I tried passing on my old 22" 1600x1050 HP, but she just says "It doesn't look right." Her settings work out to roughly the same text/icon size as I use. Might try a portrait-mode monitor next: the late-'90s vintage Sharp is running off a VGA output and it's getting twitchy. It's either that or go ahead and buy the 19" Viewsonic 4:3 I have bookmarked on Amazon before it goes away.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Heh. Wifey loves those long-discontinued Logitech Trackman widgets with a golfball-sized thumb-operated trackball. I think I can keep it running for another couple of years, but at some point the price of used ones on Ebay will get stupid, like the old IBM "clacker" keyboards. Whenever I need to tweak her computer, I've got a dedicated Bluetooth mouse...life's too short for me to use that trackball.
    I was buying the Microsoft wheel mouse optical every five or six years for long after Microsoft discontinued them. I really liked them and bought my last one still in the box on EBay. I know what it is like to chase down old computer hardware. My last one finally died and I decided to switch to a wireless mouse rather than try to find another one. I really like the Logitech wireless mouse that I got.