Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cutting longer pieces square

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    No, why would it? To cut a piece with two square ends using the fence as a bump stop, cut the right end first, slide the piece over until the squared end registers the standoff on the fence, then cut the left end. Sorry if I wasn't clear- does this make sense? I am assuming you have a crosscut sled that runs in two miter gauge grooves and supports the workpiece on both sides of the blade.
    Kevin, I don't have your set up. I have an incra sled with miter gauge and the 52" optional fence.

Brian
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    Kevin, I don't have your set up. I have an incra sled with miter gauge and the 52" optional fence.

Brian
    Nor do I have such a sled- I use a sliding table saw which is similar in operation to your left-of-blade sled. I use the retracted rip fence as a bump stop frequently, but it requires that the work is long enough to register solidly to the crosscut fence. For long cuts I have a telescoping extrusion with an integral flipstop.

A story stick (maybe a 1 x 1 the length you want to repeat) can make setting each piece in place on the sled quicker and more accurate than measuring and marking each piece.