Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LLAMBRICH Intergrated arbor and chuck

LLAMBRICH Intergrated arbor and chuck

Opinions, please on integrated arbor and chuck for a DP.
    Am looking at the LLAMBRICH Keyless chucks ... integrated 2MT shank/arbor

1/32" to 3/8" (part# JK10-MT2)

1/32" to 1/2" (JK13-MT2)

Thanks
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

I absolutely love my Llambrich. Incredibly precise and easy to use. I bought mine from Penn Tool Co.

JK-13 MT2 - 63-003-470

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Burnside View Post
    I absolutely love my Llambrich. Incredibly precise and easy to use. I bought mine from Penn Tool Co.

JK-13 MT2 - 63-003-470
    Good to know... thank you

I have the JK-16. Same basic critter, except capacity is 1/8" - 5/8"

Got mine from Amazon 4 years ago - not carried there any longer, apparently.

I didn't need to go below 1/8" on the Nova Voyager floor DP. Honestly, I didn't need to go above 3/8" either. But with the investment in this critter, I was thinking about the future when my wife gets it out of my dead cold hands and puts it up for resale - figger that extra top-end could be useful on the used market.

Patty - that's what puts holes in that round sacrificial table plug we were talking about.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    I have the JK-16. Same basic critter, except capacity is 1/8" - 5/8"

Got mine from Amazon 4 years ago - not carried there any longer, apparently.

I didn't need to go below 1/8" on the Nova Voyager floor DP. Honestly, I didn't need to go above 3/8" either. But with the investment in this critter, I was thinking about the future when my wife gets it out of my dead cold hands and puts it up for resale - figger that extra top-end could be useful on the used market.

Patty - that's what puts holes in that round sacrificial table plug we were talking about.
    Thank you Kent.
    btw I am making my DP table, incorporating some of the "features" you have on yours.
    Round sacr. insert, for one.... w/ center offset about 1/2" .
    ALso 2 layer BB ply, not quite as big (19 x 17) but w/ removable "outrigger" side supports for longer stock.
    Oh, and definitely no "super-dee-duper" cranking system. I think it's great, but I'm not up to fabricating one.
    But, back to the shank 'n' chuck... with you and Michael endorsing it, I''ll go ahead and order it.
    Last edited by Patty Hann; 05-05-2024 at 11:59 AM.

outrigger idea is clever Sac insert will work great - plenty of room for lots of holes.

post photos when you're done

regards

Kent
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

We have the Llambrich JK13-MT2 check on the Jet JDP-17 drill press in our community woodworking shop. Like Michael Burnside above, we absolutely love it. Superb concentricity (lack of runout) and excellent holding power. Gentle hand tightening is all that's needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rush Paul View Post
    We have the Llambrich JK13-MT2 check on the Jet JDP-17 drill press in our community woodworking shop. Like Michael Burnside above, we absolutely love it. Superb concentricity (lack of runout) and excellent holding power. Gentle hand tightening is all that's needed.
    Thank you Rush.... "Three's a charm" (endorsements )

One piece so no added runout. I think it is a great idea unless you spin the taper. If you bend or spin the arbor the chuck is toast. Unlikely to spin it in a drill press with drilling wood. Home shop it will last a lifetime.
    How many dp chucks have you worn out so far in your life? Have you even had to take a chuck apart for cleaning or to replace any jaws?
    Bill D

I find this idea very interesting, especially the one piece version for simplicity and presumably reduced risk of runout. I just have to somehow get past the idea of the chuck costing as much as I paid for the DP back in the early 2000s (!) as well as the limited use my DP sees, at least in stuff I've been doing for awhile. Thanks for the education on the possibilities!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I find this idea very interesting, especially the one piece version for simplicity and presumably reduced risk of runout. I just have to somehow get past the idea of the chuck costing as much as I paid for the DP back in the early 2000s (!) as well as the limited use my DP sees, at least in stuff I've been doing for awhile. Thanks for the education on the possibilities!
    Oh, it's costing me almost 3 times as much as I paid for my little craftsman 1/2 HP Benchtop DP at least 20 years ago.
    But I am currently upgrading, so the price of the shank w/chuck is about half the price of the new DP
    Interestingly enough both DPs require an MT2 arbor, so I could use the LLambrich on the Craftsman.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I hear that argument used for table saw fences and helical planer heads on a regular basis as well. In my mind, when i spent as much on a TS fence as i did for for the saw...taking an okay saw with marginal fence to a very good runner...the saw's value more than doubled to me, and my total cost was still well below what i'd have spent for a saw package that would have brought comparable results. I've gotten to the point of (for the most part) ignoring the cost of the base tool and measuring the value of the attachment on how it helps make my "work" better and/or more enjoyable. Has greatly reduced my anxiety about purchasing upgrades. At least that's the explanation i used with my CFO!!

Oh, I didn't mean to imply anything disparaging about putting a $400 high quality chuck on a DP that originally cost similar money two decades ago. It's just an ironic thing. The same DP today is about double (anecdotally speaking...I didn't look it up) My dilemma is whether or not I actually use my DP enough to justify a very nice keyless chuck whereas. Or even to upgrade to a variable speed DP for that matter.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I don't use my DP a ton, but a chuck like the Llambrich makes a good drill press a great one. There is exactly one thing that should be built well on a DP and that is the chuck. Most DP machines come with sub-par chucks.

Only one bad thing about the Llambrich. You'll notice the cheap drill bits you've got and your next purchase will be a quality set of bits to take advantaged of that next-to-zero runout

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Burnside View Post
    I don't use my DP a ton, but a chuck like the Llambrich makes a good drill press a great one. There is exactly one thing that should be built well on a DP and that is the chuck. Most DP machines come with sub-par chucks.

Only one bad thing about the Llambrich. You'll notice the cheap drill bits you've got and your next purchase will be a quality set of bits to take advantaged of that next-to-zero runout
    I've been using Fuller brad points for a few years now (with the subpar chuck on the craftsman). No use making things worse by using sub par bits too.
    And I have a mix of Fisch, Freud, and Colt Maxicut Forstner bits...Also a 29 piece index of [cobalt?] twist bits from Sears, bought in the mid 80s. They still sharpen up very nicely (using a Drill Doctor).