Thread: Grizzly V-helical jointer cutterhead

Grizzly V-helical jointer cutterhead

Asking if anyone has experience with the Grizzly 8" V-helical jointer cutter head. I checked the archives, but couldn't find much on the V-helical, just the regular helical and spiral cutters.

I have been thinking of replacing the cutter head on my 8" Jet jointer with a helical head of late. The thought of never setting a jointer knife again is my main motivation along with less tear out. And not waiting until the knives are butter-knife dull before finally replacing them because I hate setting them. Grizzly's 10% off sale is taunting me and may push me over the edge.

There are two options for the Jet: a regular 8" Shelix and the Grizzly 8" V-helical. Price is a wash between the two, especially after adding bearings to the Shelix. I'm leaning towards the V-helical, as it comes with the bearings pre-mounted (less waste of shop time), but I don't have any experience with that style head. There is also the Lux available from other vendors, but that is running around $100 higher, and they are out of stock for the next couple months.

Thanks!

Price all of your options with a full set of replacement inserts and mounting screws, (or two, you never know when proprietary inserts will become unavailable and they'll always be more expensive later), bearings, and an appropriate torque wrench to install the inserts if you don't already have one. Use this number to guide your choice.

I wouldn't let the fact that bearings are preinstalled on one of the choices sway me, its a 10 minute job.

I put the Byrd Shelix on my Delta DJ-20 last summer and haven't looked back. I have no experience with the Grizzly V style head but in this instance go with the Shelix IMHO. You can source bearings locally I'm sure. They aren't proprietary. I did put a Grizzly helical head on a Jet 6" jointer probably 3 years ago and it worked great. I upgraded to an 8" though. I have no reason to doubt the Vee style wouldn't as well.

Blog Entries
    Insert heads have been around a while now. Once correct execution of the form has been accomplished things get pretty detailed as you look for better or worse choices. The V pattern has a cut/gap/cut pattern like knives. Overlapping spirals have a semi-continuous sort of cut pattern. I have used Byrd and Grizzly (spiral) side by side and can see no appreciable difference. I agree bearings are easy and not a deal maker or breaker. I would hope for some actual owners to chime in. Except for any influencing input from "an owner" I would feel confident with either choice.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

According to Grizzly, the V design sends the chips more centrally to make collection easier. It does sound a little gimmicky, although chip collection isn't great on the Jet, so maybe that would help. The main practical difference I see is that a cutter isn't constantly engaged in the V pattern, which theoretically means it should be easier to push against. It also has fewer inserts (32 vs 40) and "rows" (4 vs 5) than the Byrd, which may again mean less resistance. The other benefit might be having fewer inserts to change, if I ever actually wear out a set of edges. I suppose less cutters and one less row could mean a rougher finish, but I never use an edge fresh off the jointer; everything gets ripped or planed afterwards.

As for swapping the pulley and bearings, it's not that I can't do them (I've done plenty); I just don't particularly want to and if the price and performance is essentially the same that would be the deciding factor.

I'm hoping someone that has a machine with a V-cutterhead can share their practical experience. Thanks!

I have the V helical on my 5hp 12” combo jointer planer. Never used a Byrd so don’t have that to compare it to. Does a good job and not sure either is vastly superior to the other.

Andrew it occurred to me that you have to remove the pulley regardless of which insert head you go with. The bearing block is mounted behind the pulley. You will need to remove both bearing blocks for the new head. Sounds like from Roberts comment you will likely be pleased with either though.

Actually the V-helical cutterhead comes with a lovely cast iron pulley pre-mounted on it, along with the bearings and their mounting blocks It appears to be a straight drop in replacement, no adding or removing of anything from the head.

From what I can tell, swapping the head on a dovetail way jointer amounts to removing the fence and pork chop guard, lowering the in and out tables all the way, loosening the belt tension, unthreading two bolts, and taking out the old cutterhead. Installation is the reverse. Not sure if I could do it during a commercial break, but I figure it is maybe 15 minutes tops.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Seemann View Post
    Actually the V-helical cutterhead comes with a lovely cast iron pulley pre-mounted on it, along with the bearings and their mounting blocks It appears to be a straight drop in replacement, no adding or removing of anything from the head.

From what I can tell, swapping the head on a dovetail way jointer amounts to removing the fence and pork chop guard, lowering the in and out tables all the way, loosening the belt tension, unthreading two bolts, and taking out the old cutterhead. Installation is the reverse. Not sure if I could do it during a commercial break, but I figure it is maybe 15 minutes tops.
    Looks like the way to go then. I believe there are two bolts in each bearing block. It seems like I removed a sheet metal cover on my 6" Jet for access to possibly the bolts on the opposite end from the pulley but I'm pretty fuzzy on it now. Looks like the other steps you have laid out are correct. If not you will adjust on the fly.

Well, I did break down and get the Grizzly V-Helical cutterhead for my jointer. I'll try to do a review of it once I get it installed, hopefully soon