Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jointer picked up at Auction

Jointer picked up at Auction

Earlier I asked about the correct paint but this has kind of morphed. I was asking about the correct paint color. I posted there 3 photos showing the jointer.

IMG_0026.JPG IMG_0027.JPG IMG_0028.JPG

I couldn't get anything to move so I started tearing it apart. It took me a while but this is where I am today. I also gave the cutter head a spin and I might as well put in some new bearings. Not to much extra work at this point. I am not a fan of insert cutter heads but bearing come with the cutter heads, at least I think so. It is not as expensive as it could be. I probably will just do bearings but I just wanted to say I am considering an insert cutter head. As wall as repainting the whole machine. Anyway, now I know why I couldn't move the tables

IMG_0038.JPG IMG_0039.JPG IMG_0040.JPG

It is not every day one gets a first hand look at the ways and things on a jointer, first time for me. So I though I would share.
    Tom

Bearings for that jointer are only 20 bucks, insert head costs more than the machine is worth. Seems an easy decision to me.

I had that model jointer for years (although it had a little less rust ). It should serve you well once cleaned up. I had to shim the ways on the outfeed side a bit, but once it was tuned, it was solid and did nice work. A spiral cutter head would be a nice upgrade.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

It's an absolute shame what people do to machinery. Those beds will take a lot of work, and you'll still have pits left.

Blog Entries
    Congratulations on the Jointer. It will clean up to be an excellent machine.

I could not avoid noticing the old tile on what I assume to be your basement floor. I think you might have a bit of a concern there, given the type of tile it may be and the condition it is in.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Maurice, is your concern the possibility of it containing asbestos?

To whom it may concern. A New Grizzly 6 x 48 is on sale for 10% off until Mar. 11. It is at $895.50 plus $199 shipping and $35 for a lift gate service and $53 in tax or my cost today is $1,102.50. If I were to wait until after the sale ends it would add $100 for a total of 1,202.50. I just checked my receipt and I paid $140. Since I am going to put in new Bearings, which someone said is about $20, I will have some of my own labor but that is free to me, I'm retired and it gives me something to do.

Yes, I have legs and not a full cabinate and I do have a means of rolling it around but it is not incorporated in the cabinet. But then I have the room and do not have to move it so it is kind if a wash.

With bearings that would bump me up to $160 verses $1,102.50 for a difference of $ 942.50. Since I do not know the condition of the tables there is some difference in value but since it was in a barn I drought there will be much pitting. That I do not know as of yet.

A Byrd Shelix cutter head is $359.10 brings my cost up to $519.10 but then a comparable jointer from Grizzly is 1,075 and more after march 7. The cost to me is !075 +$199 shipping + 35 for lift gate+53 for tax but it will be higher for a total price of
    $1, 262 verses $519. or $743 difference. Granted I didn't find out the cost of shipping the head but I am sure the quality of the Byrd head verses the Grizzly head is a factor.

I have a Sun Hill 8 inch jointer that i bought back in 1996 for $799 and I have used it now for 28 years. And unless I sell this 6 inch jointer I will use it for the rest of my life and where can I get a jointer with an inserted head for $519?

I guess I would like to know how you determined that any 6 inch working jointer isn't worth mire than $359. or even worth a $359 upgrade.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bussey View Post
    To whom it may concern. A New Grizzly 6 x 48 is on sale for 10% off until Mar. 11. It is at $895.50 plus $199 shipping and $35 for a lift gate service and $53 in tax or my cost today is $1,102.50. If I were to wait until after the sale ends it would add $100 for a total of 1,202.50. I just checked my receipt and I paid $140. Since I am going to put in new Bearings, which someone said is about $20, I will have some of my own labor but that is free to me, I'm retired and it gives me something to do.

Yes, I have legs and not a full cabinate and I do have a means of rolling it around but it is not incorporated in the cabinet. But then I have the room and do not have to move it so it is kind if a wash.

With bearings that would bump me up to $160 verses $1,102.50 for a difference of $ 942.50. Since I do not know the condition of the tables there is some difference in value but since it was in a barn I drought there will be much pitting. That I do not know as of yet.

A Byrd Shelix cutter head is $359.10 brings my cost up to $519.10 but then a comparable jointer from Grizzly is 1,075 and more after march 7. The cost to me is !075 +$199 shipping + 35 for lift gate+53 for tax but it will be higher for a total price of
    $1, 262 verses $519. or $743 difference. Granted I didn't find out the cost of shipping the head but I am sure the quality of the Byrd head verses the Grizzly head is a factor.

I have a Sun Hill 8 inch jointer that i bought back in 1996 for $799 and I have used it now for 28 years. And unless I sell this 6 inch jointer I will use it for the rest of my life and where can I get a jointer with an inserted head for $519?

I guess I would like to know how you determined that any 6 inch working jointer isn't worth mire than $359. or even worth a $359 upgrade.
    I wouldn't sweat it Tom--i've taken some some comments for putting a Byrd on a Dewalt 735 planer about 10 years ago. (Sears floor demo planer, under $300, plus $320 at the time for the 13" Byrd head). Since then, i've rotated cutters once, so i'm less than half-way through those--and i'd have probably spent well over $320 knives for the factory cutterhead. And...no tear-out on figured wood which i run a lot of. I've left straight knives on my jointer as i've figured that edge was going to be worked--but i push the sharpening way too long since i hate setting the knives. Should have swapped the jointer head a long time ago--may do that sometime soon.

Bottom line--what really matters is how the tool performance is improved and that we're satisfied with it for our own shops.

There will always be those that know how you should spend your time and money better than you. Like Earl said don't sweat it. I upgraded my planer and jointer both to insert heads because even though I too am retired I like the benefits of them. Tear out is almost unheard of and they are quiet. My dust collector is louder than either of those two machines. Shipping is free from Grizzly now on orders over $50. I don't know if you have to pay sales tax or not. I do but that's on about anything I order or buy locally.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bussey View Post

You should not worry so much about what other's decide for you on how you should spend your funds or your time. Some people enjoy restoration projects like this. For me, I am on the other side and prefer to not restore equipment and spend time making sawdust. I also don't have as much time in my shop to make sawdust as it is. If I had no other commitments, restoring old machines could become a 2nd hobby. I look forward to some picture along the way and the finished machine when it's done.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McCarthy View Post
    Maurice, is your concern the possibility of it containing asbestos?
    Yes, I am conflicted about having mentioned it. I have done removals of tiles that look just like that and had to do the job very carefully because it had tested positive for Asbestos. I also removed and sawed lots of old VAT before I had learned of the potential hazard or knew of any need to have it tested.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    Yes, I am conflicted about having mentioned it. I have done removals of tiles that look just like that and had to do the job very carefully because it had tested positive for Asbestos. I also removed and sawed lots of old VAT before I had learned of the potential hazard or knew of any need to have it tested.
    If you use the "dry ice" method you minimize the risk and it actually makes the tile easier to remove because it becomes brittle.
    You might get hard tiny pieces of asbestos but it doesn't get airborne.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

I never mentioned anything about the tile comments so you are off the hook. I live in Iowa not Massachusetts. If it is a government owned building it needs to be tested before removing it, if removing it, if left in place not a problem. If it is privately owned, no test is required even if selling the building. There is a scare bout lead paint and have to sign a paper if you sell any property. But it is not dangerous unless you eat it. My father died of acute lung disease and my sister died of lung cancer, both smoked but still people still do it and it is far more dangerous than tiles on a floor. First they want to make you afraid of it, and then it gets expensive to remove it. It wasn't expensive to remove until they made you afraid of it. But it is okay as long as long as it is left in place. Which I intend to do.

More people die in care accidents in one year than have died because of a tile floor that might contain Asbestos. Did I mention drugs and alcohol. Lets see lets make you afraid of saw dust, then we can sell hepia filters and hoses and dust collection fittings and masks and dust collectors and a shop vac and the list goes on, but a broom and dust pan are a no no.

For the record I will vacuum up the area, the wife has already said something about it. The building is on Main Street and my shop in in the back. Usually there is a rug over the area in question but at 78 it was to hard for me to get it in the building alone and the rug got moved. I went to the doctor the other day and my blood oxygen level was 98. And that is after spending 4 years in a nave engine room woodworking for over 50 years and walking through the door foe 20 years. I don't think you can make me afraid of it. i

Tom

Blog Entries
    I am fond of Iowa. I Was born in Des Monies and lived in Iowa City as a wee nipper. Both sides of the family were Pioneers who settled in Wane County. Grandpa did not worry a whole lot about asbestos. There is no harm in being careful about it. I inherited several rusty relics off of the farm. I really enjoyed cleaning them up and using them.
    Best Regards, Maurice

I started working construction as a 14 yr old kid. I always found work because I did work. My neighbor was a Mechanical Contractor and I spent a lot of time mixing up asbestos insulation for pipe fittings in a 5 gal bucket, coughing and wheezing away. In I think it was ‘72 they said that asbestos was bad for you. That really bothered me for a time. I finished my apprenticeship in the pipe trades and went out on the road. I got to thinking about asbestos and decided I needed to look at this mathematically. You know where two negatives equal a Plus, so I began working nuclear shut-downs and picked up a few Zoomies, which is what we called the radiation. The final tale hasn’t been told, but so far so good.