Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anchor seal

Water did the job. Added three pints of well water and agitation with my handy homemade egg beater and brought the viscosity back to its original consistency. Will probably use most of it this weekend on a large black walnut, hackberry and sweet gum I’ll be processing. Thanks for the input.

I made something slightly similar to anchor seal. I used paraffin and mineral spirits. Heat up the paraffin until it melts and pour in some mineral spirits and stir a bit. When it cools it will stiffen up a bit depending on how much mineral spirits you put in. I like to make it the consistency of butter. Then I apply some saran wrap to help hold things in place. It seems to work fine.

I've also used PVA (yellow glue) and it works well also.

Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post
    I've also used PVA (yellow glue) and it works well also.
    PVA, Titebond ll, is my go to for sealing end grain. I do not do much fresh cut wood these days but I quit buying Anchorseal years ago.

Craft supplies sells a PVA based end sealer, but I think 1 gal is the largest size. It seems to work as well as original Anchor Seal. The difference is in clean-up. If you care about what it may drip on, be sure you cover it with a drop cloth. The PVA stuff is messy and horrible to clean up.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling