Thread: Creeker’s past week’s accomplishments

Creeker’s past week’s accomplishments

Hi everyone, sorry for the late posting, I was away visiting my sister.

Last week, I cut the mortises and tenons for my Shaker style kitchen cupboard trim panels.

So, what did you do last weekend?

Regards, Rod

Busy week with a bunch of medical stuff in the family, but I completed and "delivered" the Kewel Kat Koffee Table to our older daughter...thread in Woodworking Projects. I also installed a new dishwasher in the house on Friday...that was a real saga that started a month ago. The first dishwasher arrived after a week and a half wait with the front all dented up; refused it. The replacement showed up a week later. With hidden damage not found until the truck was long gone. Called in, cancelled that order and requested a pickup. This was a supply chain issue and the customer service folks at Costco were excellent, including expediting that second one. Unfortunately, the clock was running so I ordered a unit from Lowes (my second choice model) that was available for next day delivery. It indeed arrived the next day (Friday morning) and I installed it in the afternoon after getting back from the weekly food shopping trip. The "dearly departed" dishwasher was an older GE and sounded like an older Mack truck when running. The new one (a KitchenAid in the end, instead of the Bosch I wanted) is nearly silent. It's eery... And today, I did our older daughter's taxes as well as our own. First time EVER that ours went through with the "Standard Deduction"...the effects of two people now being retired. LOL

This week is still in flux. I have some medical and paperwork things to continue attending to, but am actively trying to decide what my next project will be now that I can use my right hand and wrist kinda-sorta-not-quite-normally. Hmm...

Have a good week folks!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Taking a break from a couple of dressers that I don't want to finish too early to deliver. A "dorm room" media cabinet for a family friend is coming along. Clear top coat top with a painted base.
    Parker (0).jpg

Parker (16).jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I don’t know if I’ll ever get back to “real” woodworking, I’m still busy playing with my cnc.

I made a Game of Thrones wall hanging for my daughter, who’s a huge Thrones fan.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Monday ordered new diabetic shoes from New Balance store. Could go thru doctor, pay co-payment for visit, make appointment with shoe salesman associated with doctor's office, be fitted for shoes, then order them in. Wait a couple weeks for the to arrive at doctor's office, and pick them. Pay co-payment of a little over one hundred dollars for shoes, plus the original $40 co-payment for doctor's visit, or just order directly from New Balance store for about the same amount, and have them in a week. Mine have to be ordered, as I take a 11 1/2, 4E. Big feet, plus inserts. Finished cutting up and splitting pine that fell in wind storm. Put wood out beside road, with a sign saying "FREE." Someone even took the sign, but it did say "FREE." Garden club on Tuesday night, and fellowship meal at church on Wednesday night. Measured some fittings for water heater in church kitchen. Dielectric unions are leaking, and two different plumbing companies only wanted to sell church new water heater for over seven grand installed. Unions cost less than forty bucks for the pair. Will install the week before Easter, as preschool is out that week and no Wednesday night meal. This means have whole week to replace, and if that doesn't work, church can buy new tankless water heater for half of what replacing tank water heater would have cost. Started early tomato plants indoors. Worship service on Sunday.

Shop time last week was limited to cleaning. We had a couple over for dinner Thursday, and I knew the hubs was interested in woodworking and wanted to see the shop, so I wanted it to be presentable and it's been a while since I really cleaned it anyway. Of course, shortly after I started vacuuming, our 35+ year old central vac decided to die with the familiar fried motor odor. Found the bearings had pretty much turned to dust. I figured it was new power unit time but was surprised to find that parts were still readily available for the old one. I was able to replace the motor, all the dried out gaskets and sound deadening insulation and the plastic whirly cone for less than a third the cost of a new, comparable power unit. Should outlast me now. As part of the cleaning process, I took a bunch of stuff to the Salvation Army, and a load of stuff to the Habitat Restore, including a bunch of old latex paint, which they recycle for $1 a can.

Spent the weekend in the Cincinnati area helping my sister in law and her hubs move from Cincinnati to northern Kentucky. Drove down on Friday with the truck and trailer and BIL rented a truck for Saturday. They are getting movers for the big stuff, but we moved a zillion boxes and lots of smaller furniture. It was pretty cold, but at least it was dry after the early morning flurries quit.

I got a big box via UPS from Oneida Air Systems. A couple of years ago I had trouble with the impeller coming loose from the motor mount on my V3000 collector. I caught it when it was just loose because it was making an odd sound. After consulting with Oneida, I replaced all the bolts in the mounting hub and reassembled with loc-tite and haven't had any other trouble with it. Apparently others folks have, however, and I'm guessing someone or maybe multiple someones had a fairly serious failure because Oneida shipped me a retrofit kit consisting of a metal plate that wraps around the heavy molded impeller housing, and a hardware kit to upgrade the impeller mounting hardware with a locking plate to mechanically prevent the impeller mounting bolts from coming loose. Haven't installed it yet because pulling the motor and impeller is a pita, but I'll get to it.

Mary and I went to see "The Play that went Wrong". I haven't laughed so hard and so long in ages. See it near you if you get the chance. When I wasn't laughing, I was trying to figure out the behind-the-scenes magic behind all the special effects because some of them were pretty sophisticated. There was a lot of physical humor too, and the actors were amazing. And it wasn't a #$%@ musical! I don't mind a good musical, but I much prefer a well done comedy or drama and they are rare birds in a sea of so-so musicals.

I was supposed to play in a pickleball match against folks from another local area tomorrow, but they forfeited so I'll just play up at the rec center like usual.

Hope to get more shop time this week. Nice weather is coming and the outside chores will be starting soon enough. Mary spent a few hours today picking up the winter's stick harvest since it was close to 60 degrees!
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

That mirror is fabulous, Bruce!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Finished up a sideboard project which I posted about in the "Woodworking Projects" sub-forum. Ordered some lumber for a couple of floating nightstands I'll be starting next. Main task this week is to complete shop infrastructure work while I'm between builds. Ordered some Nordfab ducts/gates and Grit Automation controllers for all of the main machines and I'll start installing. Overall a productive week while not working at the "real job"

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    That mirror is fabulous, Bruce!!
    Thanks Jim. I won’t be making any more of these. Finish cut took 29.5 hours using a 1/32 TBM and 8% stepover. There was virtually no sanding or cleanup required tho.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

A client is unloading his shop, & I have been clogging up mine with his, & in some cases his fathers' stuff.
    Alien head planer, decent Craftsman jointer, vises, power tools, hand tools, plumbing fittings, screws, clamps, & assorted wood- walnut, jatoba, redwood, DF, maple, plywood, mahogany.
    Sold some things so far, & cleaning/sorting more to sell. To a large degree, it's about diverting things from the dump or the metal scrapper.

IMG_1527.jpg
    Finally finished, sans dust collection, my new miter station!

RCR Prop Build

I have been building the last 3 Props for my Kid's Winter drumline. They are a stepped Platform on Casters with a T for a Scarecrow (Who is one of the Drummers.) I have built 7 so far and have 1 left. They need them in time for their Saturday show. I hope to get Pictures of it in use this weekend with the T. Here are 2 on the truck along with the last sheet of Plywood for the final Prop and a Pic when I was finishing previous ones at the HS practice site.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Put in a full week at work finally, still not able to work 8 hrs, however I am training 2 young guys on scheduling for 1-2 hrs a night, not on my feet for that, check the pool and what else I can physically do, trying to walk more each night at work, just nowhere near what I was able to last fall. Too long inactive while recovering from surgery again. New leg brace does make it possible to walk a lot more than I could without it, became apparent when I picked up new custom insole and had the temporary insole moved over to Athletic shoe. Just walking in the store was a lot less stable than with brace. will be nice to get off of the knee scooter around the house by wearing the Athletic shoes inside the house. Young family coming to pick up wooden playset tomorrow, glad to see it getting used by kids again. Want to slip down to the shop for a hour or two, no woodworking, overdue maintenace needs caught up first. Picked up a used Milwaukee Hole Hawg drill well used for $40 at auction along with ice saw and 2 ice tongs for SWMBO to hang on living room walls. Auction was by family auctioneer, he is already lined up for when i need to do my shop auction, hopefully at least 10 years out. Nephew who i wanted to pass part of my tools to, passed from Covid 1st of the year.
    Ron