Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mortise and tenon projects

Mortise and tenon projects

Hello all - I want to get into using true wood joints rather than pocket holes. For starters I want to try out a mortise and tenon project and I think a shop stool would be a good starting project. Can someone suggest where I can download a plan (preferably free) for a mortise and tenon shop stool? If there is some other project that's better kindly suggest that as well.

My two cents...a stool is generally going to have splayed legs and, as such, mortises and tenons that are angled (in two directions). This is going to meaningfully up the difficulty on a first project.

The first mortise and tenon project I did was just a coffee table. I just used traditional joinery rather than screws / dominos. You can work M&T into almost any project you need to build...but something square seems quite a bit easier.

I would try a miniture table out of 1) 2x4 ripped up to 1-1/2" stock. You can get a second board and practice half lap's. After a practice make a full size table like James mentioned

Simple table is one of the best ways to explore traditional mortise and tenon joinery.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Yep. Table, or workbench...
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

I like Mike's idea about a work bench because working on a larger scale might be easier than making "dainty" M&T on a small table.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I agree that a stool won't be the easiest starting project, but it is certainly doable. Build something you're excited to build. I haven't built this, but found this Popular Woodworking video for a mortise and tenon shop stool. It's from their I Can Do That series, so it seems like a good fit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_zPp-98lm0

As a suggestion for a simpler starting project, I recently built some wall hangings to display photos. I built a simple rectangular frame and wove shaker tape over the frame. Photos are clipped to the shaker tape. The frame is roughly 18" x 24" and the frame segments are about 3/4" x 2" wide. I used mortise and tenon joints at the corners. I also pinned the joints, mostly because I didn't have suitable clamps. I think that would be a good starter project. The shaker tape covers up most of the joint, so you don't have to be perfect with getting the joint to close. The overall size of the frame is arbitrary, so you could also shrink the frame a bit if a set of tenons don't work out. I'd be happy to send photos if you're interested in that project.

Good luck with the M&T joints!

I made this little stool: LINK. It was a good exercise in M&T Joinery. I'm afraid there's no formal plan.

50966469231_a7cdfa24b7_b.jpg
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    I made this little stool: LINK. It was a good exercise in M&T Joinery. I'm afraid there's no formal plan.

50966469231_a7cdfa24b7_b.jpg
    Note to OP: you must be a contributer ($6/year) to have picture-viewing privileges.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

I saw this but it was a complicated build.

Quote Originally Posted by James Jayko View Post
    My two cents...a stool is generally going to have splayed legs and, as such, mortises and tenons that are angled (in two directions). This is going to meaningfully up the difficulty on a first project.

The first mortise and tenon project I did was just a coffee table. I just used traditional joinery rather than screws / dominos. You can work M&T into almost any project you need to build...but something square seems quite a bit easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdul Azeez View Post
    Hello all - I want to get into using true wood joints rather than pocket holes. For starters I want to try out a mortise and tenon project and I think a shop stool would be a good starting project. Can someone suggest where I can download a plan (preferably free) for a mortise and tenon shop stool? If there is some other project that's better kindly suggest that as well.
    Where can I find a plan?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Simple table is one of the best ways to explore traditional mortise and tenon joinery.
    Where can I find a plan?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Boring View Post
    I agree that a stool won't be the easiest starting project, but it is certainly doable. Build something you're excited to build. I haven't built this, but found this Popular Woodworking video for a mortise and tenon shop stool. It's from their I Can Do That series, so it seems like a good fit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_zPp-98lm0

As a suggestion for a simpler starting project, I recently built some wall hangings to display photos. I built a simple rectangular frame and wove shaker tape over the frame. Photos are clipped to the shaker tape. The frame is roughly 18" x 24" and the frame segments are about 3/4" x 2" wide. I used mortise and tenon joints at the corners. I also pinned the joints, mostly because I didn't have suitable clamps. I think that would be a good starter project. The shaker tape covers up most of the joint, so you don't have to be perfect with getting the joint to close. The overall size of the frame is arbitrary, so you could also shrink the frame a bit if a set of tenons don't work out. I'd be happy to send photos if you're interested in that project.

Good luck with the M&T joints!
    I saw the video but it was a complicated build

I built this one from Fine Woodworking years ago.LINK

I built it from the plans in that issue of the magazine, but it looks like you can still download a .pdf and it seems to be free.

Good luck!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

[
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    I built this one from Fine Woodworking years ago.LINK

I built it from the plans in that issue of the magazine, but it looks like you can still download a .pdf and it seems to be free.

Good luck!
    Thanks so much for sharing. This one looks great and I could start this. The tools I don't have based on this video are marking gauge, flush cutting saw, dado stack, shoulder plane and the other plane he showed. I assume for dado stack I can use just my regular blade on table saw. For the others, any recommendations on cost effective options to buy? Also instead of a stool can I adapt this to say a bench? Or should I start small?