Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question on Byrd heads for planer

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    Take the last insert in a row off and use that screw until the replacements arrive if you really need to get back to work.
    Comments like this that should be obvious things to do, and i just don't get it--make my "contributor" contribution worth every penny. I haven't been in the OP's position, but John's temporary fix is now in my memory banks. Thanks John!!

Quote Originally Posted by Earl McLain View Post
    Comments like this that should be obvious things to do, and i just don't get it--make my "contributor" contribution worth every penny. I haven't been in the OP's position, but John's temporary fix is now in my memory banks. Thanks John!!
    Somewhat obvious. I thought about it before it was posted. I was (am) worried about balance, throuwing the balance off with one cutter and screw missing. Doesn't seem like a lot of weight, but at that RPM, who knows. Sure the weights on you car's wheels are only slightly larger and the tire mass much larger but they are spinning as fast either. All I don't need is to make the situation worse.

AFAIK all insert screws are metric. What. is the designation of the inserts? Of course wood working folks seem to ignore common practice.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    AFAIK all insert screws are metric. What. is the designation of the inserts? Of course wood working folks seem to ignore common practice.
    Bill D
    It is a Byrd head that uses the KN400 inserts. As Robert mentioned in post #2, Byrd and Grizzly sell 10-32 replacement screws for the head. I would think they are 10-32.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Whitesell View Post
    Somewhat obvious. I thought about it before it was posted. I was (am) worried about balance, throuwing the balance off with one cutter and screw missing. Doesn't seem like a lot of weight, but at that RPM, who knows. Sure the weights on you car's wheels are only slightly larger and the tire mass much larger but they are spinning as fast either. All I don't need is to make the situation worse.
    I don't think there would be any real balance issue but you could always take the last insert out of every row to maintain balance if the machine showed excess vibration with one insert removed. I guess it depends on how important it is to get back to work vs. waiting for screws to arrive.

I don't think there would be any real balance issue but you could always take the last insert out of every row to maintain balance if the machine showed excess vibration with one insert removed. I guess it depends on how important it is to get back to work vs. waiting for screws to arrive.
    That is also true and obvious. Didn't think of it. I would have done that too. Guess my mind was blown (a) with the broken insert and (b) the fact that it might be the one I removed and didn't put it back on correctly.

Just a question, what specific tool are you using for torqueing the inserts? 45 in/lbs is essentially only screwdriver tight.
    Last edited by John Lanciani; 02-26-2024 at 7:23 AM.

Just a question, what specific tool are you using for torqueing the inserts? 45 in/lbs is essentially only screwdriver tight.
    I have two choices. Both 1/4" drive, a swing arm torque wrench and a break over torque wrench, both read in inch-pounds. I usually grab the latter.