Thread: bench build

bench build

I ran out of time last fall but this is where I am with the build. I will get it finished this year. I have the chop to finish, as well as the dead man. Not to forget completing the wagon vise. I have not decided whether or not to make it a split top or put on a tool tray. I know a tool tray is historic. And I am leaning that way.
    IMG_0020.JPG IMG_0021.JPG IMG_0023.JPG IMG_0024.JPG
    Tom

Nice Tom, looks like a Moravian bench. How did you cut the angled mortises on the legs?

My legs are 3 inches thick and 4 inches wide. I got a small assembly print , I think is is from a Phil Meyer. He copied an original and said the leg was at 16 degrees and something. I thought about it and decided they was no reason for it to be 16 something and angled the leg at 15 degrees.

I made my legs out of 4 pieces of glued up 3/4 inch thick boards. I glued them two at a time. I cut the bottom of the board at 15 degrees. Then I went up 8 inches and cut half the mortice in each ley. Since you are not cutting through you can use the fence as a stop. 4 legs equal 8 halves. Then when you glue the 2 together you have 4 legs with the mortices already done. The mortices for the stretcher was done the same way. I cut half the mortice on one board and 1/2 on the other then glued them together and then flued another on each side of that. those mortices are straight, I like 3 inch thick legs because they can be cut to length on a table saw in one pass. 4 x 3/4 equals 3 and most 10 inch saw will cut 3 1/8th.

I leave every thing a little big and cut every thing to size when completely done. you will take it apart several times so I would finish the inside of the mortices before gluing them together. Put some wax in the mortices it make for a much easier assembly.

You can glue up each leg with 3 pieces and trim out the mortice after glue up and save a lot of Dato cuts to remove the waist.

If it works on an angled lege it will **** on a straight leg also.
    Tom

Looking good. How will you (did you) attach the top to the base?