Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carpenter bags

Here is my favorite utility knife. Easy to swap blades, comfortable handle, and plenty of room inside to carry several extra blades. Angle of blade to handle seems just right for hook blades and fine for regular ones too.

https://www.menards.com/main/p-79192...campaign=LENOX

Blog Entries
    I’m probably going to buy at HD..

I had both an extra pouch and a second hammer hanger on the top of my suspenders and tried both so not putting the hammer at the back of the tool belt to hit the deck. Once the belt was floating the hammer thing was less annoying as well but I liked it up top as easy to put there and grab.

This Country uses a LOT of carpet. Why buy thin cheap bags of limited sizes when there are millions of square footage of “wall to wall “
    carpeting being thrown out just because it’s it’s old or “ out of style.” ? The usefulness of old carpeting was tested and found to be
    great for making “ carpet bags” ,by the hardy carpet- bagger thieves who traveled through the South after the War For Southern
    Independence to be ideal for carrying and holding gold and silver. Both are heavy but I don’t think even one small piece of silver ever
    fell out of any of the bags. All old carpeting is stronger than any ‘store bought’ carpenter bags. THIS HAS BEEN A PUBLIC SERVICE
    ANNOUNCEMENT.

You really worry me, Mel...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    You really worry me, Mel...
    LOL...too funny
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

For roof work, I use a 5 gallon bucket. Extend ladder about 4' above roof. Attach a pulley to top rung, strung with a piece of rope long enough to reach ground. With helper on the ground, go onto roof and have helper pull bucket up. Just as bucket reaches edge of roof, push ladder away from building, allowing bucket to pass. Let ladder back in and have helper lower bucket onto roof. This is how we put shingles (without bucket) up onto roof, no climbing ladder with a bundle of shingles drooped over shoulder. Don't forget to wear restraint harness, as you will be working near edge of roof. Forget the wind up kind, as you will be fighting them the whole day. I'm with Tom on coil nails, scatter them with shingle bundles. For regular roofing nails, I prefer an old fashion cloth nail apron. Currently working on a $60 HF winch, attached to ladder to pull up shingles. Recently I saw a Youtube of an installer lifting a condensing unit onto roof using this method.
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 02-26-2024 at 3:29 PM.

Blog Entries
    I’ll be two stories up,in the beginning.

I’ll probably start Wednesday if it looks good for a couple weeks