Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carpenter bags

Blog Entries

Carpenter bags

I’ve got an old carpenters bags I used over the years. Been thinking about another setup for the roof any recommendations that won’t break the bank. No Occidental priced bags please.

may only wear them once…
    Last edited by jack duren; 02-23-2024 at 6:46 PM.

I know you might either laugh or cringe, but...Harbor Freight. I bought an over the shoulder rig for comfort when I was building out the new shop building and it was a good investment for my purposes. I have used it a few other times when doing home maintenance. It's not perfect and I'm sure the premium products have features and options that might not be available, but for the money and the potential for limited long term use, it's worth considering. There are also options on Amazon that are equally interesting, although you have to buy before you can "fondle" them.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I see the used metal tool boxes that are very heavy and long so a saw fits in. Even heavier for plumbers.
    BilL D

Had one tool belt over 25 years. Ripped and torn and sown back and staples and and. Light and held all I needed calipers and all. Carpenter here tore strips off me for so old staples sticking out and and. He was right. Got one in a nice tan and it ripped in months, stitches came out. Ended up with one from Princess only cause it was so cheap but more so like my first belt likely a Kunys.

I started on the roof some section not sure on a simple tool belt other like the original, tools and things were falling out all the time when i was bending over. I know you said no Oxi and not recommending it but I had one and had been modifying it right from new. Stuff didnt work for me. Felt bad cutting and changing but that went away fast. I ended up that I taped up where the buckles go together. So the belt was floating the air both sides. Because you have shoulder straps and heavy ones the front strap that goes from side to side was the only thing attached on the front and so high up had no affect on them floating.

I dont like the stiff apsect, I dont like the weight I dont like belts but I dont want to walk for tools its such a waste of time. When I got the eves I found you can hang tools off those belts well as they are so stiff and strong and it excelled at that. I did different weird things to those belts like taking the hip pad access off and putting them as shoulder pads for more padding for the harness. They were a bit wide but the extra padding was nice. Went back to original. I wanted to look at Kunys again and last time stopped the whole display was gone. They had other nice stuff but wonder if soft and flexible and light is better. My first belt was nice.

Friends father said when you get old you lose your ass and then cant wear a tool belt. They are annoying. Jack see if Essential carpenter has a different belt for roofing I know carpentry he had Occi and maybe added a bucarroo belt thing to the Occi.
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 02-23-2024 at 9:25 PM.

Nothing about mine is not modified either. I don't wear it for roofing though. I made up one that just carries the stuff I need for working on a standing seam roof out of relatively cheap parts too.

Blog Entries
    I’ve got to decide if I just want a bag I can pull along or wear bags, I worn bags when I did installation. I just don’t e@nt to run back and forth for things..

Jack, if you do wearable, do the over the shoulder setup. It's a "Yuge" difference in comfort...I was really, really surprised at first but it started to make sense when I got things loaded up for whatever I was doing. While I never wear a tool belt or apron when woodworking, for construction stuff, graduating to the comfortable harness from a simple belt and pouch was remarkable. I would not want to be pulling a stand alone bag for "all the things" while working. For keeping the extra, "might need" tools and supplies, yes. But for what I'm using for the job in the moment, hanging on me is expedient and efficient.
    --

Blog Entries
    The front of my house requires ladder work. I’ll have to wear bags or do a lot of ladder up and down…

Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    The front of my house requires ladder work. I’ll have to wear bags or do a lot of ladder up and down…
    Yup...so go for comfort. The other thing I like about what I bought is that I can change out the pouches and other attachments to match the work at hand. Folks who do specialized work can leverage just one setup, but people who do "all the things" can adapt so that the kinds of tools and materials being used can be best accommodated on the rig.
    --

Blog Entries
    Looking at the Dead On bags at Amazon. Think I’ll order the “Carpenter” rig…

Personally, I don't like shoulder harnesses. I find them too restrictive. I looked at those bags on Amazon. They all look like they have too many pockets for a roofing job to me. I would only use what pockets and holders you need for the exact job. My standing seam roofing belt has a utility knife pouch, a holder for an impact driver, a pocket to hold screws that has a pencil pocket on the outside, a tape measure, and nothing else. Screw pocket to one side and everything else behind me so it doesn't get in the way when I bend over.

I modified my carpentry toolbelt so that everything is short enough that nothing touches the floor when I squat down. That little roofing belt also has no low hanging pockets for the same reason.

After using modified hammer holders that mounted up high on the belt, I convinced Occidental Leather to make this one decades ago. It's aggravating to me when I squat down and a hammer handle hits the floor pushing it up in the holder. https://www.amazon.com/Occidental-Le...s%2C194&sr=8-1

I wouldn't carry over one extra coil of nails. We spotted coils around the roof when we put the bundles of shingles all around the roof up roof of some of the bundles.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 02-24-2024 at 12:58 PM.

Blog Entries
    I’m good with the pouches. I’ve had several tool pouches over the years. Because of the PKD , I have to wear shoulder straps and spent years killing my waist without shoulder straps. Never again..

Yes, they're a very personal thing. I don't think the maker of the belt I like is even in business any more. The belt itself is something like this-padded nylon with snap buckle that my Wife has had to change several times from the buckle wearing out, sewn in place with no adjustment and not extra anything on an industrial machine. It carries one Occidental bag and another modified bag by some cheaper manufacturer that we could do some sewing on.

https://www.amazon.com/Dickies-57001...WEALw_wcB&th=1

Blog Entries
    Let’s see what a I’ll have to carry. Metal snipes, chalk line, pry bar. Tape measure, a few hand drives, knife, hook, square,

I have a Milwaukee bag I can put gun /buttons in. I’ll probably need some deck screws.

Looking for a good deal on hook blades.. O may buy two better holders for knife/hooks than my shop ones..

Blog Entries
    I look forward to no longer needing a tool belt. I learned a new word recently
    Meralgia paresthetica

I am also learning to stop saying "I will do your job as soon as the weather permits".
    My winter work in the shop time only lasted two weeks this year.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 02-24-2024 at 3:49 PM.
    Best Regards, Maurice