Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Domino question

Jarad, that does work well when one makes their own tenon stock for sure. I suspect the majority of folks don't "roll their own", however.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Jarad, that does work well when one makes their own tenon stock for sure. I suspect the majority of folks don't "roll their own", however.
    Fair enough. Though it's not that hard to run a few hundred feet at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sankovich View Post
    Fair enough. Though it's not that hard to run a few hundred feet at a time.
    For me it's a "what would I pay myself to do this" versus "what does a box of dominos cost" - the box always wins

It is cool though that you make some that fit the wide setting. That's a pretty stout domino!
    Last edited by Michael Burnside; 02-23-2024 at 5:03 PM. Reason: spelling

Festool points out that their tenons have small grooves that act as glue pockets when pressing the tenon into the mortise. When making your own tenons do you attempt to create similar pockets or are they smooth?
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scott vroom View Post
    Festool points out that their tenons have small grooves that act as glue pockets when pressing the tenon into the mortise. When making your own tenons do you attempt to create similar pockets or are they smooth?
    No, I don't bother. Though matching profile heads/knives are available from a variety of sources

https://www.whitehill-tools.com/prof.../domino-dowel/

Screenshot_20240224_232321_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240224_231529_Instagram.jpg
    20181007_162237.jpg
    Last edited by Jared Sankovich; 02-25-2024 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scott vroom View Post
    If the tenons are sized correctly there's no need for "glue pockets". When milling spline tenons I shoot for a .002" glueline with pva glues, leave a small flat on the edge for excess glue to escape, and coat both tenons and mortises at assembly to ensure complete coverage.

I make them from mahogany and ipe for outdoor projects like gates. The standard ones will rot in short order.

I have just received a set of these bits, which are profiled ...

https://www.findbuytool.com/products...l-dominos-4pcs

I have been making my own to custom widths with a round over bit on the router table, and shall continue to do so for though tenons. The profiled bits will be great for loose tenons.

Regards from Perth

Derek