Thread: Slick bandsaw resaw feeder setup

Slick bandsaw resaw feeder setup

There have been a few threads about using a power feeder with a bandsaw for resawing. Darren Oates just posted a short video on the 'Tube that shows his setup in detail and it's pretty slick and well thought out. He does a lot of resawing for both veneering and for lamination work in the furniture he produces. As he points out in the video, he only has the one large bandsaw so having this setup not only up to the task but also easily installable and removable is important to him.

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That's a great setup for stock that's not too wide. I'd have to do a lot more veneer sawing though to justify the floor space it takes up. I also wonder how well it does on really wide veneer on the last couple of cuts when the board really needs to get pressed tight to the fence. Both the fence and feeder aren't all that high.

I took note of the blade he's using, a 1" Woodmaster CT.

John

He's done some wider than shown in the video but I don't recall the specifics. I did see the blade before he qualified what it was...with the big "made in USA" laser engraving.
    --

Nice setup, but way too heavy to remove the rollers for me. Or a place to store the cart (I'm really out of room). Plus lots of metal fabrication for the cart. But again, a very nice setup.

Still have resaw power feeder envy..... Sigh....
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

That feeder weighs 176 pounds, and costs over $3,000. For those without the room and/or money to spare for Darrel's set up, consider this: about 14 pounds and $369 delivered. It'll fit on even a 12" band saw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpzj...&index=13&t=5s

I have a power feeder that's free, and requires no adjustments.

My right thumb. Yeah, it gets tired... but it's free and so far hasn't complained enough that I'm inclined to toss it out the door.

Can anyone think of a show that would have a number of these (bandsaw power feeders) set up to see in person? I'm having a hard time 'pulling the trigger' sight unseen and my local shop (Burns Tools) doesn't stock any.

Quote Originally Posted by Josko Catipovic View Post
    Can anyone think of a show that would have a number of these (bandsaw power feeders) set up to see in person? I'm having a hard time 'pulling the trigger' sight unseen and my local shop (Burns Tools) doesn't stock any.
    About the only possibility I can think of would be the "big" shows in Atlanta and Vegas in alternating years, but even there, you might not see a lineup like that.

-------

Some folks have commented on "big", "heavy" and "expensive". That's absolutely true and in my observation, the latter is most certainly a "feature" of power feeders in general. Darrel's setup is indeed robust. But the reason I posted this is because it might help folks think about a solution that might work for them, given it's something that's been mentioned here from time to time including recently.
    --