Thread: looking for correct paint for Delta machine

looking for correct paint for Delta machine

I bought a Delta 6 inch jointer at an auction last Saturday. It is a fairly new model because the cutter head has jacking screws. It has sat in a barn for you knows how long. DE rusting it is going to take a while. It has four metal legs. I have no way of taking a picture at the present time so I can not post a picture. I would like to know where I can get the correct light gray paint. Any help will be appreciated.

Tom
    Tom

This may help, Tom.

http://wiki.vintagemachinery.org/PaintColorsDelta.ashx

When I've needed to match a machine color, I took a part from it to my local SW's and had them do a color match using an OB paint base. It has always come out close enough for my purposes.

John

If you are going to tear it down and repaint everything, matching exactly may not be necessary. When I refurbed an old Delta BS, I used Krylon Farm and Implement in Massey Gray. They also have a lighter Ford Gray. Sprayed it with a cheap HVLP and it came out pretty well. They also sell it in rattle cans, which may be a benefit in certain situations.

Older rockwell saw I used Ford gray and Ford blue 2 to one ratio.
    Bill D

Rust-Oleum Professional Dark Machine Gray: very close match to the. original paint on this unit:

[IMG][/IMG]

I hadn't planned on repainting the whole machine but it is probably the best option. I hadn't even considered tearing the whole machine apart, again the best option. I am sure the ways are somewhat rusted. I also have an old Delta band saw which is about the same color as the one pictured above so maybe I will do both.

My gray is a lot lighter and I think getting the right color will be next to impossible so I am just going to paint the whole thing. Anyway thanks for your help. And thank you John for the paint color from Sherwin Williams, I know it took you some time to find it. Actually I know it took every one some time to reply to my question. Thanks again.
    Tom

I used DARK Ford gray and dark ford blue.
    Bill D

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ng-tool-online

Here are some photos of the jointer. I have removed the parts that operated the fence
    IMG_0008.JPG IMG_0009.JPG IMG_0010.JPG
    Tom

Newer models have a bluish green cast to them than the vintage machine grey color of the pre-war machines.

I also think (but am not certain) that the SherwinWilliams formula in the link is no longer available with SW's current colorant system.

YMMV

Rustoleum light machinery grey worked well for me for the newer color.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Battleship gray is Haze Grey.
    Bill D.