Thread: Rockwell Delta 34-395 saw, worth keeping?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Rockwell Delta 34-395 saw, worth keeping?

I bought one at an online auction sight unseen. About 3 hrs away so I never went to see. Hauled it home today bigger than what I was thinking. Just looking for experiences or opinions on this. I have a 10" now and thinking this should do every thing and more.100_2391.jpg100_2392 - Copy.jpgHere is my 10" and I would remove the fence and put it on the 12" saw. Problem is I no longer have the old fence from the 10" and the one on the 12" will not work well.100_2394 - Copy.jpg

Thoughts? Bad idea? Or is BIGGER better?

Hauled this home also100_2395 - Copy.jpg

In an employment there was one I had to use at times. Lot of shops have several of them . I suggest buying all the spindles sizes if
    available. You can buy knives or grind your own . The knives were all thin , which made the grinding easy .
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 02-20-2024 at 9:59 PM.

Blog Entries
    Neither of those are worth keeping. You should give them to me. : )
    Best Regards, Maurice

I think you might like cutting wood with a 12 inch blade.
    You might like it so much never want to go back to a 10 inch saw. That’s what happened to me. My saw will cut 4 inches above the table. I’m not a professional cabinet or professional anything so I can go a year or more before the blade needs sharpening.
    Good Luck
    Aj

What size arbor is on that 12/14 saw? Is it a stub arbor that can be switched out? Some guy on the bay was making replacement spindles to order for about $180. Some some one has a nice write up on adding a riving knife to that saw.
    Be aware the belt spacing on the drive pulleys is not a modern standard.
    Bill D

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....knife-retrofit

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ding-saw/page2

Note, all? the threads on the arbor stuff are lefthand threads.
    Bill D.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    What size arbor is on that 12/14 saw? Is it a stub arbor that can be switched out? Some guy on the bay was making replacement spindles to order for about $180. Some some one has a nice write up on adding a riving knife to that saw.
    Be aware the belt spacing on the drive pulleys is not a modern standard.
    Bill D
    I do not think it has a stub arbor that can be switched. It is a 1"

I am still on the fence but leaning towards keeping it. I have a friend who will want it if I pass. Plan to wire it up tomorrow and fire it up.

That’s a good idea to get it running and make some test cuts. Hopefully you have a good blade that meant for a tablesaw.
    Dont forget to tilt it @ 45 and see if she can make clean rips. Thats a often over looks quality of a good tablesaw clean 45 rips.
    Good Luck
    Aj

The Delta 12/14s are great saws. I had one for a number of years and the only reason I got rid of it was I got a 12" x 8.5" slider. The extra real estate is nice. Most of them are three phase, and the Brett Guard might indicate that it came out of a school shop, as that's the only place I have ever seen them. The only minor drawback is that the blade is set a little farther back from the front edge than on a normal 10" saw, but it doesn't take long to get used to.

The shaper is a Delta Heavy Duty, and is only heavy duty compared to little benchtop shapers and router tables. They normally run 3/4" tooling but 1" spindles are also available. They aren't really big enough to run 1 1/4" tooling. That being said, they have been used to make millions of windows and cabinets.

A 12/14 is one of the few tools that I miss. Had one and a PM66. When I bought a slider I had to make room and kept the 66, smaller and left tilt. Was a great saw, worked well with a feeder.