Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rockwell Delta 34-395 saw, worth keeping?

My saw was about 50 years old when I got it. It was scary the amount of torque to unscrew the stub arbor. I am sure it had never been removed since the factory. Now it is a pretty easy job.
    I had to use an impact hammer and long ,homemade, pin wrench to start it moving.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 02-22-2024 at 11:49 AM.

Thanks Bill. I see the one on fleebay and reached out to him. He does have the long 1" one also. I did not ask to get a price yet. Mine came off with the spanner and a 12" cresent.

Making a rolling base for it now and I plan to leave the factory fence on it for now also. The fence slides great and is very sturdy, so will it a chance.

I unbolted the plinth which drops the saw 5". Then I made a rolling base which raised it back up 5". Does your plinth have the dust hose port? It can be moved around so it aims the way you want.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Yaegle View Post
    Thanks to all.

I know the shaper is light duty but, I got lucky and it came with 1/2" 3/4" and 1 1/4" spindles. Now I wish it had the router collet also.
    There used to be a place to buy router adapters for the Delta Shapers, and have the cartridges rebuilt.It was A&E ToolE-Store, but I can't seem to find the website now.There is a listing for a Facebook page, but I don't have a Facebook account, so I can't tell if it's the same store. If you have FB, it may be worth the look for you.
    I didn't know there was a 1-1/4" spindle for the Delta HD shapers. I have 1" spindle, but it's part of an integrated cartridge assembly. I do run 1-1/4" cutters on mine, with Tee adapters. I do it because there are more cutters available in 1-1/4" than 3/4", and the resale is better for the 1-1/4" cutters. No one really wants 3/4"cutters.
    The 1/2"spindle can be adapted to run a circular saw blade for deeper tenons. There are bushing adapters you can buy to go from 1/2" to the 5/8" circular saw hole size, or you can buy the 1/2" to 5/8" wheel arbor adapters for Toro Lawn Tractors for a lot cheaper and make your own. Use rip blades.

Nice finds on both machines.Me personally, I would keep that Tablesaw.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Mike, Thanks for the information. Yes keeping the saw made a base for it. I also plan to keep the fence on it, it is plenty stout. It also slides like it is on rollers, it works so well now that I monkeyed with it. I will try the fence before I part ways with the 10".
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tom, I have the dust chute from the Plinth. If you pay shipping I can get it to you. I think it goes to 4" round duct. It sticks out at least 10 inches. Fairly heavy metal.
    Bill D.
    95355 Zip code
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 02-26-2024 at 2:37 PM.

Some shapers the taper is a standard like a morse taper #3. If it is something standard your can buy an off the shelf ER collet holder on a taper shank and use that for router bits. You will probably have to make a custom drawbar from all thread.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Tom, I have the dust chute from the Plinth. If you pay shipping I can get it to you. I think it goes to 4" round duct. It sticks out at least 10 inches. Fairly heavy metal.
    Bill D.
    95355 Zip code
    Yes I am interested in the dust chute. Mine opening is 12" wide and 4 3/4" high. If yours will fit I would like it. I am in PA 16365

Thanks,
    Tom