Thread: Looking for Recommendations on Custom Tool Storage Boxes-Chests

Looking for Recommendations on Custom Tool Storage Boxes-Chests

I have a 6 foot run of 40 year old metal Craftsman Tool Drawers-Tool Chests under a laminate top, which has served me well. It is 33" high plus the top, I got to order custom drawer sizes (I like 2" drawers for most stuff, but need a maximum of 4" for a few other items).

Sadly, It has stored a lot of weight and the slides and their connection to the sheet metal sides have torn loose, so it is time to replace them, either making drawers or buying another set of boxes with drawers. The wood drawers I made at the time have held up perfect--box joint drawers and 150lb Accuride slides and I may just make another set or I may buy another custom set

I ran across Champion Custom Tool chests, which come in a variety of widths and heights and one may order custom drawer sizes. http://www.championbuilt.com/custom-modular-drawer-cabinets---standard.html
    They are, of course expensive, but appear to be very well made.

Does anyone have any other recommendations?
    Regards,

Tom

Harbor Freight Icon is generally almost the "best of the best". It has 240 lbs capacity per drawer. The double-slide drawers offer a 500+ lbs capacity. They are pretty much over-built compared to almost anything else on the market.

https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-s...red-56134.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-s...red-56142.html

The 14-3/4" and 34-3/4" wide drawers can be replaced with alternate type (you can order either 4-3/8" or 6-5/8" deep drawers as replacement parts). The only downside is that they are 45" tall (much higher than your current 33" cabinet).

Alternatively, the Harbor Freight US General stuff is really excellent compared to any other at the same price point (Milwaukee, Husky, Craftsman, etc.). It's still a bit high at 43" and the drawers only support 120 lbs each, but it's a much lower price point compared to the Icon. You do NOT have custom drawer sizes here.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-s...ray-70314.html

If you absolutely must be able to support up to 400 lbs for every single drawer, then the s
    uper expensive stuff like Rousseau
    is what you need to buy.

This company has been highly recommended, I personal don't own nor have I seen one in person. I am perfectly happy with my harbor Freight boxes, price and quality meet my needs.

Stor-Loc Modular Drawer Systems (storloc.com)
    Highly recommended on a couple web sites I am on. USA made, 400lb drawers

Ron
    Last edited by Ron Selzer; 02-20-2024 at 5:46 PM.

Lista is another top-of-the-line industrial cabinet manufacture. Expensive stuff tho.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

tekton out of Michigan is selling tool cabinets made in Canada by Rousou. I have a 30 x 60 split bank and it's every bit as good as a lista at a price that is palatable. Icon is built in the same way as all the other mid range boxes. lista and tekton/Rousou have large ball bearings and a steel carriage and not punched and tabbed slides. I have about 300+ lbs in the top drawer and can still one finger push it closed. No way you do that with any of the mid-range stuff like icon and its competitors. plus, if you order on their website you can get 10% back. for fathers day they have in the past run a 12% back sale. I upgraded all my socket sets with my money back and am so much happier when i am wrenching with the box and tools. its luxurious to have that much space and such a high quality set of tools.

Yes, I need the tools to be stored under a work surface at about 35" so a 44" cabinet, while nice would waste space.
    Regards,

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas McCurnin View Post
    Yes, I need the tools to be stored under a work surface at about 35" so a 44" cabinet, while nice would waste space.
    You could take the casters off and it would be maybe about 35-36" high.
    - Mike