Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ridgid Router Collet

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    Not Ridgid... Elaire corporation for aftermarket collets https://elairecorp.com/routercollets/
    Sorry, my mistake.

Email is prob. more efficient though. But given the cost of a one off vs. the utility of that router to begin with ........id still recommend putting the money into a better product that comes with a better collet and a spindle that allows for greater (8mm) capacity.

If if it works fine (no bit slippage) just get over it and use the thing til the wheels fall off. If the collet is an issue..........that's a 100% dump the router and upgrade. Hot rodding that router makes little sense to me.

YMMV.

I'm wondering why collets aren't universal. The only part of the collet that has to match the router is the thread on the nut. Why aren't they standard threads? Not denying they aren't just wondering why there aren't just two sizes, trim router size and full size router size.

Quote Originally Posted by doug garson View Post
    i'm wondering why collets aren't universal. The only part of the collet that has to match the router is the thread on the nut. Why aren't they standard threads? Not denying they aren't just wondering why there aren't just two sizes, trim router size and full size router size.
    ^^^^This^^^^
    Last edited by Patty Hann; 02-27-2024 at 3:43 PM.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    ^^^^This^^^^
    It's not just about threading...it's also about the internal size and taper on the router, itself. There's not really been any incentive for mass market tool makers to standarize on something like this like there has been in the ER collet world that exists in the metalworking and CNC industries.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    Sorry, my mistake.

Email is prob. more efficient though. But given the cost of a one off vs. the utility of that router to begin with ........id still recommend putting the money into a better product that comes with a better collet and a spindle that allows for greater (8mm) capacity.

If if it works fine (no bit slippage) just get over it and use the thing til the wheels fall off. If the collet is an issue..........that's a 100% dump the router and upgrade. Hot rodding that router makes little sense to me.

YMMV.
    Collet hasn't slipped, altho some users have had that experience.
    I'll probably just get the OEM one ($4) from eReplacements and just have it if/when if I need it.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”