Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ridgid Router Collet

Ridgid Router Collet

I have a Ridgid R2401 compact router.
    Is there an aftermarket collet available for it?
    I'd like to replace the OEM collet with something a little better.

I know there are ones available for the Bosch, Dewalt, and Makita palm routers (and maybe others like PC).
    But I can't locate one for the Ridgid... (maybe because there isn't one).
    Anyone know of a source for this?
    Thanks
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

http://elairecorp.com/routercollets/

I ordered collets from here to replace oem ones. No issues with company or collets. Happy customer. Not sure of they have for Ridgid but would be worth checking with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Okonieski View Post
    http://elairecorp.com/routercollets/

I ordered collets from here to replace oem ones. No issues with company or collets. Happy customer. Not sure of they have for Ridgid but would be worth checking with them.
    I checked there... the didn't list Ridgid, but I may contact them anyway.
    From what I read they will make me one (custom job) if I can send either a drawing or the collet itself. (I'd send the collet).
    However, the price of a custom-made collet may be more than I'm willing to spend.
    We shall see...

I think you're gonna have to take your collet to the Depot and Lowes and see if it will fit on the DeWalt, Makita, Milwaukee, Ryobi, or Bosch compact routers.

Then you'll have a starting point.

And.......................if ya ain't willin to pay up, just forget the whole thing because what you want is not a commodity item that is produced by dozens of manufacturers.

Patti, you'll have to balance the cost of an aftermarket quality collet...if you can find one or have one made...vs the $140 cost of the router you have and a new, similar one from other brands. Dave's idea to take the existing collet to test on other brands has value, but do remember it's not just about the threading but also the the taper that the collect seats into. You'll want to carefully compare your collet to one off the other brand samples in that respect. Collets have to have all the parameters exact to work properly...and safely.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

There doesn't seem to be much room for a better collet. But you can buy an OEM replacement to bring a worn one back to new status: https://www.ereplacementparts.com/collet-p-163294.html

I don't know if you will find a better aftermarket one but here is an oem if yours is worn

https://www.amazon.com/671361001-671...8545917&sr=8-9
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

I’m with Jim on this one.

best to just put the money towards getting a better router with a better OEM collet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    I’m with Jim on this one.

best to just put the money towards getting a better router with a better OEM collet.
    OH, I have 4 routers.... Milwaukee 5616 for the table, Bosch 1617 for manual use, Dewalt 611 compact and the Ridgid compact.
    The Ridgid was my first router. There's nothing wrong with it. I want to dedicate it to strictly edge use. But I'd still like the collet to be a little better.
    I will use the Dewalt for other "compact routing".

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    OH, I have 4 routers.... Milwaukee 5616 for the table, Bosch 1617 for manual use, Dewalt 611 compact and the Ridgid compact.
    The Ridgid was my first router. There's nothing wrong with it. I want to dedicate it to strictly edge use. But I'd still like the collet to be a little better.
    I will use the Dewalt for other "compact routing".

Even with the new info., my advice remains the same. If the tool isn't suited for the job, move on - regardless of sentimentality. Especially if the ecomomics favor doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    I checked there... the didn't list Ridgid, but I may contact them anyway.
    From what I read they will make me one (custom job) if I can send either a drawing or the collet itself. (I'd send the collet).
    However, the price of a custom-made collet may be more than I'm willing to spend.
    We shall see...
    It's worth the dime for a phone call. You might find that collet is used by more than one machine. I have a Freud FT2000E router which has been out of production for a long time and investigated replacement collets if I need one. It turns out at least according to the source I found that the FT2000E and DeWalt 625 use the same collet.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    It's worth the dime for a phone call. You might find that collet is used by more than one machine. I have a Freud FT2000E router which has been out of production for a long time and investigated replacement collets if I need one. It turns out at least according to the source I found that the FT2000E and DeWalt 625 use the same collet.
    That's because, if I'm not mistaken, they both stem from an Elu router first made many years ago.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    That's because, if I'm not mistaken, they both stem from an Elu router first made many years ago.
    That could well be.

It's worth the dime for a phone call.

I disagree entirely.

After you spend countless minutes on hold or navigating the customer service phone gauntlet, you'll reach a someone (if you're lucky) that has absolutely no clue about the subject . Even if Ridgid had the information you seek , they wouldn't be inclined to tell you anyway.

Call us so you can use our time telling us our product isn't so great and then ask us if we can direct you to a competitor to sell you a part that's better ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    I disagree entirely.

After you spend countless minutes on hold or navigating the customer service phone gauntlet, you'll reach a someone (if you're lucky) that has absolutely no clue about the subject . Even if Ridgid had the information you seek , they wouldn't be inclined to tell you anyway.

Call us so you can use our time telling us our product isn't so great and then ask us if we can direct you to a competitor to sell you a part that's better ?

Not Ridgid... Elaire corporation for aftermarket collets https://elairecorp.com/routercollets/