Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Combination plane as Dado plane?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Combination plane as a dado plane...isn't that one of the "7 planes in 1" that Stanley said about their No. 45? Hmmm

I am a wee bit GRUMPY tonight...the Household is all down sick, the main camera I was using has died...still learning the How-tos of the phone's camera....so..the fuse is a bit on the short side....

" The world is full of Kings and Queens, who blind your eyes, and steal you dreams.." RJD..
    The OP asked about the LV Combination Plane:

Besides Derek, who has used the LV combination plane as a dado plane? How did you like it?
    I've never used one to evaluate. I would hope it is better than a Stanley #45.

Yes, among the functions Stanley listed for the #45, cutting dados was included. A post of mine from a little over 14 years ago also mentions the same:

Old Post on Stanley #45.png

The #45 can cut dados. It does not cut them as well as a dedicated dado plane. If one wants to make utility shelving, a #45 would work okay. If one is interested in joinery with clean edges, my suggestion would be to find another way to cut dados than a with Stanley #45 or any of the other combination planes from other makers. If one is not careful, even a dedicated dado plane like a #39 or a combination plane like the #46 could cause chipped edges on a dado. For me, it is faster to saw and chop than it is to set up a baton for a plane. This is especially true for stopped dados.

Having not used the modern combination plane from LV, my thoughts on it would merely be speculation with their only basis being improvements made in the fields of metallurgy and machining.

Sorry for your travails of misfortune. I've been dealing with a few myself, just remember: Illegitimi non carborundum.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 02-25-2024 at 1:55 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)