Thread: Hanging cabinet doors

Hanging cabinet doors

Hello - I've made plenty of cabinets. I am now making some fairly narrow ones (frameless) (about 14" inside width) and it made me think, "Can I make the doors, line them up with one of the sides, install the hinge plates, and THEN assemble the cabinet instead of trying to install the hinge plate working inside a narrow box. Clearly the trim to cover the edge of the plywood will have to be allowed for if not already on.

Cheers,
    Scott

Of course. Use a story pole with all the pertinent info on it to mark the hinge centers on both doors and cabinets.

I use the Festool track for their router and always make the holes for both the shelves and the hinges before assembling the box.

"Can I make the doors, line them up with one of the sides, install the hinge plates, and THEN assemble the cabinet instead of trying to install the hinge plate working inside a narrow box. Clearly the trim to cover the edge of the plywood will have to be allowed for if not already on.
    Sure, you can assemble the parts in any sequence you desire.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    Of course. Use a story pole with all the pertinent info on it to mark the hinge centers on both doors and cabinets.
    Why go to that trouble ? Simply use the 32mm system and you'll automatically have them located for every cabinet you make.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Welty View Post
    Hello - I've made plenty of cabinets. I am now making some fairly narrow ones (frameless) (about 14" inside width) and it made me think, "Can I make the doors, line them up with one of the sides, install the hinge plates, and THEN assemble the cabinet instead of trying to install the hinge plate working inside a narrow box. Clearly the trim to cover the edge of the plywood will have to be allowed for if not already on.

Cheers,
    Scott
    Sure Scott, that works well, I normally install hinge plates on the gables before assembling the cabinets,msame for drawer slides.

I much prefer working flat on the bench than inside an assembled cabinet.

Using the 32mm system can also be helpful for layout.

Regards, Rod