Thread: Creeker’s past week’s accomplishments

Creeker’s past week’s accomplishments

Hi everyone, here in Ontario it’s Family Day,a statutory holiday for provincially regulated workers.

We’re having a couple of friends over for brunch to celebrate.

Having spent most of my working career in a federally regulated industry, being retired I now get to experience it.

I finally installed the last two additional kitchen cabinets, now I need to make the Shaker style trim panels and doors in red oak.

I’ve attached a photo of the cabinets with some shelves sitting in the bottom.

What did you do last week?

Regards, Rod
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 02-19-2024 at 8:23 AM.

Another busy week for me with being the "family Uber driver" for a whole bunch of medical appointments plus my own PT. But I did get the cat themed coffee table finished for our older daughter on Sunday and will get that "delivered" this week with a short thread about it in Woodworking Projects. I'm trying to decide what to tackle next; a shop project or something for the house. Too many options! LOL I also need to get our taxes to preliminary point so I can take care of something else related.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I’m an extremely low-output hobbyist woodworker, which is why you don’t see me step in on these threads. But in the past week I had a burst of production. I milled the door and drawer frame parts and coped tongues on the rails for a breakfast bar I’m making for our backyard cottage. Turning ten-foot boards into furniture.

Yesterday I was facing a series of rip cuts, some to be 1-1/4” wide. I just didn’t like the over-the-fence push contraption I’ve used for twenty years, and I wanted something more worthy of the project, so I cruised YouTube for a push stick with a handle and found one I liked. Process steps:

-Sketch shape on a paper grid
    -Glue to 1/2” MDF
    -Cut out curvy shape on band saw
    -Start with 3/8” blade: too curvy
    -Make serious tactical error by trying to get to the line on the router table (what was I thinking?)
    -Shatter first template
    -Escape catastrophic injury

{surprised myself with really bad judgement: still shaking my head; I know better}

-Second MDF piece
    -Break a 1/8” blade (at the weld!), but get the template
    -True edges with sandpaper
    -Template-rout two blanks on 3/4” ply
    -Bullnose edges
    -Sand smooth

For the first time, I have two world-class push sticks that fit comfortably and safely in my hand! Plus a template for the future.

Four and a half hours. Satisfied.

Next step: rip frame members and run grooves.

Tuesday, Doctor released me back to work on Wednesday, started work at 2pm, 3pm went for final fitting of brace for right foot, left with it on. No longer need the cane to walk and less pain. Worked easy, Thursday, Friday, Saturday wiped out. Way out of shape and have to slowly work my way back. Sunday went to P.F. used 5 machines, no weight, used to do 80-160lb settings on these machines, 2 years ago. Just have to slowly get my strength back. Did go down to basement and change water filter, long overdue.
    Want to go out and separate playset in backyard. All wood, original T shape was bought used 14 yrs ago. Family in my development is taking it for their kids as soon as I separate a swing set I built on about 7 yrs ago. This goes over to daughter's house for kids over 60lbs to swing on. I built a kit from Menards, last year, that claims up to 12 yrs, no way one 10 yr boy had it twisting and had to make him stay off, grandson 5, and girlfriend 6 can get it to start twisting. So this will be for granddaughter 11 and the other older kids in their area. Little ones can play on the Menards swing set. Town passed a new park levy after town promised new playground behind daughters house 2 years ago. Haven't heard a word since and when I ask get told working on the concept now. Kids over there need something now not when they are gone. Waiting on nurse to come by for final home visit. See Infectious disease doctor Wednesday and hopefully he will remove the pic line or send me somewhere to have it removed and I will be able to start using my left arm for more than 8lb's
    Ron

-Rough sanded doors and drawer fronts.
    -Filled any open joints/tearout. Total boat Fix wood is a wonderful product. No horrible smells/ 6 hour dry time (I think, I just leave overnight)
    -Took my 3 year old on a road trip to rockler She said she'd go because I'm her best friend. My 6 year old without hesitation said no so the 3 year old got a donut for the road. Not much purchased got a "glue" chisel, 120grit for my rts, misc, and made a return.
    -Ordered ETS 125req with edge guide to edge sand doors and drawers. Contemplated Hammer edgesander, Woodpeckers holder or glimpse inside holder with fixture but in the end it was a waste of space and time so I went with the festool. I already had 200 discs in 5" and no other 5" sander so it really had to be done.
    -Another order from woodworkers express(very good pricing) different degree blum hinges Blum charging drawer /revashelf waste/recycling with blum servomotion. Should be fun setup