Thread: Question on box joints

Question on box joints

I have a box joint jig that I followed the plans from the Philadelphia Furniture Workshop. It has worked great for other projects over the years. My question is that it says to test cut at least 6 pins. I have done this and the sides fit together ok. I've been asked to make a box to hold a very nice bronze bell that's about 15 lbs (for a friend, not for money). The sides will be 12" high which means box joints 12" long. If they fit at 6 pins, will they also fit at double that length? Seems to me that if I'm the slightest bit off it will compound at 12" and might not fit. I have the side boards dimensioned and would really hate to screw it up at this point. And I'm also running out of time. All my previous experience with box joints have been in the 3-5 inch range. Comments or suggestions? Randy
    Randy Cox
    Lt Colonel, USAF (ret.)

Set up your jug and run it on scrap wood the 12" you need to go. If its a traditional jig I would think as long as your cutting both pieces on the same jig it wouldnt compound it would reference the previous section.

Guess I should have done that before even posting. Think I getting old. Tx.
    Randy Cox
    Lt Colonel, USAF (ret.)

Blog Entries
    You want too cut both pieces that make up a corner at the same time. To do this you stack the two pieces on the face of your jig, off setting the one in front by the width of one pin or slot. Be sure to mark the two pieces so you know which side is up and which pieces make up a corner. You will also need to work your way around the box in sequence, always cutting the corner

If you are able, cut the pieces from one long board so that the grain wraps around the box.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

You'll want a looser fit with the more pins you cut. I've made hope chests with box joints. It's heartbreaking when it locks up before the joint bottoms out with the glue on it during assembly. I suggest you actually cut a full joint and even glue it up.

Good advice Lee and Richard. Tx.
    Randy Cox
    Lt Colonel, USAF (ret.)

When I make box joints with a lot of pins I easy them into a test fit. If I see any areas binding, I will thin out the effected pins with a fine rasp. It's tedious but better than binding up during the glue up and the joints don't bottom out.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!