Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is This The Real Bug?

Blog Entries
    I have heard that Mr. Lamborghini started as a tractor mechanic. My brother the car guy and my other brother the farmer talk about Mr. Lamborghini and Mr. Porsche.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Maurice, I am feeling really good now. A couple of weeks ago I re-started my exercise routine and my muscle tone is getting better each day now. I can't go the full distance and time but I am getting closer every day.
    I had to move the Dune Buggy out of my shop and store it in my cargo trailer recently to make space for the counter top material. I have one of the seven foot long air lift tables that supports the counter top material while I am fabricating. The Dune Buggy will return as soon as the counter tops are installed, at the same time I have some CNC and laser engraving work to do for a sign customer.

Dr. Porsche had a big part of the design of VW automobiles but I read recently that he had a number of other designers that helped with the projects. He also is supposed to have taken some designs from other manufacturers in order to keep the manufacturing pace on time. I doubt anyone knows all of the facts as its been a long time and WWII had an impact but in the end VW produced more then 80 million Beetles and that is a very impressive number. Honestly I am not a fan of the Beetles designed in California and built in Mexico. My 2003 Beetle is one of them and I will be glad to see it go.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 02-18-2024 at 8:50 AM.

Blog Entries
    Stay well Mr. Outten you have a big flock to look after!
    Volkswagen certainly has endeared its self to many. We had Karmann Ghias and a Beetle.
    The In-Laws had square backs. Mom always put the top down on the Karman Ghia when we got to Grandmas country road, including during a snow storm.

Quite a bit about Volkswagen is written in The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich.

original_90a52779-0ab8-4b17-9fe3-912f6622dde5_IMG_20230601_101343457.jpg
    The In-Laws rig, departing New Hampshire, California bound

Blog Entries
    One of the funny things learned about VW wiring was if you kept your foot on the brake with the headlights on, then turned off the ignition and the engine kept running until the headlights were turned off or one took their foot off the brake, the engine would keep running. This usually meant the ground on the tail lights wasn't working. This was usually due to oxidation on the aluminum of light socket.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

It’s a lot like the VW Camp-mo- bile. I had one . Rolled it twice, but somebody bought it. Zero to 60 in …a long time.

not the one built by Richard at Electric Classic cars think he said with good tires it was 2 seconds zero to 60 which blows away most very high end stuff. 600 HP think two Tesla motors.

Raced a higher level porsche several times straight line and the porsche lost every time. batteries placed about the car made the balance better and other stuff done handled great as well.

I had a past lady friend whos father interacted with Porsche at the factory. He was an engineer at VW in Wolfsburg.
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 02-20-2024 at 6:26 PM.

Blog Entries
    Any time I get a hand held school bell in my hand I ring it and shout out "Two Pennys A Mile"

Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 02-20-2024 at 6:33 PM. Reason: https://youtu.be/684937sSN1E?si=A-P3ryMW89dY3tF6
    Best Regards, Maurice

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    I have heard that Mr. Lamborghini started as a tractor mechanic. My brother the car guy and my other brother the farmer talk about Mr. Lamborghini and Mr. Porsche.
    Lamborghini made tractors. I actually bid on one a few years ago at an auction but couldn’t bid high enough to win. The story goes that Lamborghini went to buy a Ferrari, and Ferrari wouldn’t sell him one, stating that he didn’t want a tractor guy driving his car. Lamborghini said, “Fine, I will make my own car,” and that’s how it began.

Blog Entries
    My brothers version of the story is that Mr. Lamborghini's tractor clutch burned out and while repairing it discovered it was made by Ferrari. So he set out to make his own.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Maurice, thanks for the video
    That was fun to find! It is not exactly the way I remember it. My mental image from childhood is
    Paul R. from Jersey ringing a bell and proclaiming "Two Pennys A Mile" I think that may have been in one of my brothers car magazines.

The German Import car shop close by our neighborhood recently changed hands. All of the relics have been lifted up out of the mud and the lot cleaned up. The previous owner of the German Import shop has a son who is a local hero. He had an Impressive career as a Nascar driver.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Any of you guys ride a buggy out west?

Out West Buggy Ride.jpg

I ride a Polaris RZR in West Virginia on the Hatfield McCoy Trail system when I can, it sure would be great to take an extended vacation to ride in one of the western states.

Keith Hatfield McCoy Trails.jpg

Even to this day Ferrari is a pain with all their gimmicks and Clubs. You cant walk in and buy the car you want with cash. You must buy 1-2 entry levels and put your name down in a lottery to get what you really want. Even then your name doesnt get pulled unless you pay off a salesman with 30-50k.

Mclaran from what I read is the way to go. If sticker says 250k its 250k and if you walk in with that cash you walk out with that car. Jay Leno says they will even perform free upgrades if there is a software update or an issue that comes up. And maintenance can be performed by more than just the factory authorized techs. So no $20,000 oil changes.

Not that any of this matters, I cant afford any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Any of you guys ride a buggy out west?

Out West Buggy Ride.jpg

I ride a Polaris RZR in West Virginia on the Hatfield McCoy Trail system when I can, it sure would be great to take an extended vacation to ride in one of the western states.

Keith Hatfield McCoy Trails.jpg

Keith I follow some YTubers and one is Trailmater based in Moab Utah, Matt's Offroad Recovery in Hurricane Utah, and Fab Rats and I can't remember their town off hand. Trailmater will take you on some pucker worthy trails doing recovery's. Sometimes they will say what they are rated but 9 difficulty isn't unusual. Rory is truly an expert on the trails and you will soon figure that out. His old square body C30 Chevy he's modified looks battered but it is tough as nails. It's often head scratching when people take stock vehicles into places and then become stranded. There are many rental places out there to rent SXS and there are excursions that will take you on the trails. Some beautiful views certainly and many places that you have a vertical drop of hundreds of feet on one side and a rock wall on the other side. If you have time check there videos out. While some YTubers are a big production and drama these guys are pretty genuine.