Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is This The Real Bug?

Blog Entries

Is This The Real Bug?

I was going to ask "Thing," but I think VW made a vehicle called a Thing.

Streatch VW Bug?.jpg

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    This is a VW Thing:
    thing.jpg
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

"The thing" as pictured by Lee was a civilian version of a German WWII Wehrmacht "jeep" known as a Kubelwagen. VW didn't make and sell it for very long, maybe 5 years at the most. I suspect sales were lousy.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    "The thing" as pictured by Lee was a civilian version of a German WWII Wehrmacht "jeep" known as a Kubelwagen. VW didn't make and sell it for very long, maybe 5 years at the most. I suspect sales were lousy.
    They were sold from '68 until '83. The US market was, indeed, a short span but due to safety standards. They're also not quite a typ82 (Kubelwagen)
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Blog Entries
    What a neat old van. Is it a Transporter?
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    I was going to ask "Thing," but I think VW made a vehicle called a Thing.

Streatch VW Bug?.jpg

jtk
    This looks to me to be custom modification that someone created from a Beetle. I have seen this kind of work before, there must be thousands of pictures on the Net of modified VW Beetles and Busses, people are insanely creative.

I honestly think that might be an AI created picture. It's scary what can be done these days.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the decision." Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Barber View Post
    I honestly think that might be an AI created picture. It's scary what can be done these days.
    That was my immediate thought...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    It fools me. I did a search by image and did not learn much.

IMG_1892.jpg
    Best Regards, Maurice

Custom VW's
    There are literally thousands of pictures on the Net of some of the most extreme custom Volkswagen's you could ever dream of.
    We have four VW's in the yard these days. My wife has a 2020 Tiguan and I have a 1967 Dune Buggy, a 2003 Beetle convertible and a 1976 Beetle that the floor is rusted out completely. I will most likely be ordering new floor pans for the 1976 Beetle next year. I have just about got my Dune Buggy ready to put on the road and will then sell the convertible. In 1971 I owned a 1966 Beetle and my Dad had a 1964 Karmann Ghia he drove to work. I blew the engine in my 1966 two weeks before I had to report to Boot Camp.

VW Bus Limo.jpg Beetle Van.jpg Elephant 137238010_1857424197739835_8072296549913376273_n.jpg Limo 321610619_1367283994091939_7710558456237440572_n.jpg morning_picdump-36-2.jpg
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 02-17-2024 at 8:50 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    This looks to me to be custom modification that someone created from a Beetle. I have seen this kind of work before, there must be thousands of pictures on the Net of modified VW Beetles and Busses, people are insanely creative.
    For sure this, or it is AI generated. I am a bug guy- I’ve had many of them. You can see where this has a bug front end, but they raised it up, and tilted the hood. They sectioned the center of the roof and added more metal to make it longer. Looks like a modified early 50’s rear fender and skirt. OR- it’s AI. If it is- someone please make this because I love it.

Blog Entries
    Mr. Outten, How is your buggy project coming along? I seem to have lost track of that thread.
    Best Regards, Maurice

My health problems the last year and a half prevented me from doing very much work on the dune buggy. I finished the work on the brake system just need to install a new master cylinder. I should be ready for state inspection as soon as I fabricate new windshield wiper arms that fit. I still have to fabricate new floor mounts for the new bucket seats but that can wait until I have it on the road. I have state tags and insurance already and I will be ready when the warmer weather gets here

I am currently fabricating new solid surface counter tops for our kitchen, should have them competed in a couple of weeks as I have to work around other chores.

Blog Entries
    That will be fun! If you are working on counter tops you must be feeling fairly strong. Best wishes on all fronts!
    -Maurice

Believe it or not but Porsche was the number one tractor maker in Europe for several decades.
    BilL D