Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cear alder is more exensive than soft maple

Blog Entries

Cear alder is more exensive than soft maple

Is this just my area? I almost ordered some alder for a paint grade project and then realized soft maple was cheaper...

Just thought it was interesting. Carry on.
    Yes, I have 3 phase!

Prices certainly ebb and flow based on various factors. For a while, the local lumberyard I used couldn't get red oak, but had S3S cherry for <$2/bf (it is now back to the more typical $4/bf).

the somewhat annoying thing is that they don't publish their prices, so I need to give them a call and check on pricing (and availability). They say this is because prices often change, but from someone that used to work in IT, it seems like they could have a web page which pulls the prices out of the back end system (like it does when making the bill of sale) to put on a web site, as well as the amount of stock they have, but I guess they don't want to invest in doing that.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, but their "inability" to publicly display prices lets me order clear alder at $1 extra / BF.

Also, hard maple is cheaper than soft right now too.. It's almost like I should call and just say "I want to paint something.. give me your best price"

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wedel View Post
    Prices certainly ebb and flow based on various factors. For a while, the local lumberyard I used couldn't get red oak, but had S3S cherry for <$2/bf (it is now back to the more typical $4/bf).

the somewhat annoying thing is that they don't publish their prices, so I need to give them a call and check on pricing (and availability). They say this is because prices often change, but from someone that used to work in IT, it seems like they could have a web page which pulls the prices out of the back end system (like it does when making the bill of sale) to put on a web site, as well as the amount of stock they have, but I guess they don't want to invest in doing that.
    Yes, I have 3 phase!

Andrew ,that is interesting. I like maple …tender and brutal. Alder is just an alderterternative. Good Job on shop shop-en !

You're overestimating their technical expertise and underestimating their technophobia

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Davidson View Post
    You're overestimating their technical expertise and underestimating their technophobia
    When I first made the acct, I made it tax exempt (furniture sales), but quickly became cabinet guy. I need to make my account taxable (which is on me). But every guy at this lumber shop is like "cool, no big deal", but this one guy there is such a PITA. He's always "sigh..... welllllll... we can't put it on the account then... I'm just gonna have to charge you full price.."

Sigh. Give people a little bit of power over someone else and it becomes a whole thing.
    Last edited by andrew whicker; 02-15-2024 at 2:59 PM.
    Yes, I have 3 phase!

Whenever I call my lumberyard to ask for the price, they're always like "It's somewhere around $4 to $6 a board foot". I think everyone gets a different price at that place. Even when I'm picking the lumber out, they don't know how much it costs until the cashier rings me up. It's one of those things that would make me mad, but there's not much in the way of alternatives near me, and I do believe their prices are still fair. Perhaps not great. But significantly cheaper than Rockler/Woodcraft or pretty much any other place I could buy online after shipping. And the wood is good quality. So I keep going back.

I like Alder far more then maple. I think it machines better seems more stable superior grade at least. Plus the cutoffs I use in my smoker for pork ribs. I do agree with maple is denser and probably more durable.
    The mountains 5 minutes north of me have Alder trees along side of the streams. It’s so nice in the spring.
    Im influenced.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Aj

Blog Entries
    I'll have to use it more often. I started getting poplar in lieu of alder but it's really too soft
    Yes, I have 3 phase!

I can’t begin to guess how many cords of clear alder firewood I cut growing up.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Quote Originally Posted by andrew whicker View Post
    I'll have to use it more often. I started getting poplar in lieu of alder but it's really too soft
    the green poplar is harder than the white sappy stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew whicker View Post
    Alder is 590 and poplar is 540 on the Janka scale, so pretty close. I tend to use poplar for paint-grade lumber as my local hardwood dealer always has tons of it. I never looked at the price of Alder but also don't see it much on the shelves around here.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

I can't even buy alder in Central IL. Soft maple has been my favorite for decades. I prefer it to poplar.

Poplar has to be air dried before being kiln dried, without that , it will have to be used on small things ,like bird houses. Bought from
    a good place poplar will be reasonably straight and flat . Buy only the green (color poplar) for exterior use.

At my local place Alder is $7.25, soft maple is $7.50, and hard maple is $7.10. Poplar is $4.10 (all retail 4/4 rgh) It all seems expensive to me!