Thread: Anything woodworking related in Herndon Va/Washington DC area?

Anything woodworking related in Herndon Va/Washington DC area?

I’ve got to head out to the DC area for work next week and I’m looking for any museum or cultural resource suggestions to visit if I get time. Where I live in NW Montana does not have much of a woodworking history so I love to soak up history when I’m on the East Coast. Any craft history nerd stuff is welcome.

thanks,
    D.J.

Not a lot of woodworking comes to mind. We have PATINA (Potomac Antique Tools and Industries Association) but unfortunately the next meeting is not until mid-March.

Williamsburg has a lot of neat stuff, but that is a couple of hours away.

The Smithsonian has a hangar full of aerospace history at Dulles airport. Not woodworking, but well worth seeing while you are here.

One of our favorite places to take out of town visitors is Mount Vernon.

And of course DC proper has the rest of the Smithsonian system.

I suggest seeing the Washington Monument , it’s the one that’s 555 feet 5 and 1/2 inches tall . And was used as a “noon mark”….
    It’s made of stone. I think they still let you go to the top by elevator. Not sure if they still allow walking up or down by steps.
    Smithsonian has the the Wright Brothers first plane hanging from the ceiling. They have lots of good stuff.

I was doing some looking just over coffee, and see the Smithsonian has an arts and industries museum, which I am sure has some neat stuff.

Then I was wondering how it is possible that I have never been there.

Turns out the entire thing has been close for the better part of the last 20 years. Very strange.

https://www.si.edu/Museums/arts-and-industries-building

But the Smithsonian system is huge. You can spend all day at that hangar by the airport, and easily can spend a week just going from building to building on the mall. The main link to the system is here.

https://www.si.edu/

If you are interested in the civil war, Manassas is close to Herndon, and you can easily get to Antietam if you have a car and a day.

Blog Entries
    +1 for the Smithsonian, visiting there is on my bucket list. The inventor of the Pacemeter is a family friend who used Dads shop from time to time. There is a pacemeter in the Smithsonian.
    We enjoyed the C & O Canal Tow Path and related parks and museums.

https://www.grannysnotes.com/Bike_Pa...gh-flying_ride

C&O Railway Heritage Center | Clifton Forge VA | Facebook

https://www.nps.gov/choh/index.htm

https://www.georgetowndc.com/neighborhood/co-canal/
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 02-23-2024 at 6:39 AM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

I agree with the C&O. Great falls park is great too. The Maryland side I think has restored a couple of locks so you can see how they work.

Go to the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History and study the kayak built from driftwood and skins. Their living depended on these kraft out on waters cold enough to kill you quickly. I wouldn't bother to go anywhere else off the National Mall until you get tired of it, but you'll most likely run out of time and only leave you wanting to go back. The mall is a lot bigger than it looks on TV. It's almost two miles from the Capital to the Washington Monument.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 02-23-2024 at 4:23 PM.

Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up going to the Air and Space museum after work on Thursday for a quick visit. The engine displays dating back to the teens were incredible. Also, the fact that you can see the X-1 and SR-71 in person is pretty cool. Yesterday I finished up early and drove down to Mt. Vernon. I’d say it is definitely worth a visit. Much of the furniture is reproduction, but there are some surviving 18th century chairs, cabinets and desks on display. I took quite a few pictures for future reference. The house itself is very much original and worth the tour.

Next time I’m here I’ll head into town and hit the Smithsonians.

Cheers.

Washington died December 14th 1799 at Mount Vernon. He had hoped to see the new century.
    “I die hard ,but I am not afraid to go”. Doc had taken a lot of blood out of him.

During the war a young man on guard duty fell asleep , and was going to be executed. An older guy stepped forward and was allowed
    to take his place. Washington allowed him to do that. He stayed up late reading war tactics and rules. Learned on the job , never short
    on duty and confidence in himself.

Often when visiting the Smithsonian, the museum you visit is determined by where you can find a parking space. Air and Space is a great one. I took a Boy Scout troop there a couple of weeks after 9-11. We had the whole place to ourselves. I drove the 15 passenger rented van from place to place parking where I wanted to. I took them to the Capital first. The next week I asked them if they had a different feeling about the Capital now than they did when they used to see it on TV and they all enthusiastically said that they did.

One advantage Washington had was that he didn't need to sleep. He'd take guests to their room late at night at Mount Vernon and would be found first in the kitchen with a fire going early in the mornings reading. I don't think anyone ever had to wake him up for anything.

Late to the party, but next time see what is on exhibit on the Renwick Gallery (part of the Smithsonian). They often have modern furniture collections from Maloof, Nakishima, etc. There is a more traditional furniture collection at the National Gallery of Art. Best thing is it is all free.

The next time you are in DC, check out the Kaufman Collection of Federal and Colonial era furniture at the Smithsonian. It’s fantastic! Here’s a link to the catalog.
    https://www.nga.gov/exhibitions/spec...furniture.html

It’s amazing that it was all crafted Neanderthal style with hand tools.
    Last edited by Mark Leifer; 03-01-2024 at 11:08 PM.