Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dyed ring box

Transtint dye in water

Well I turned the blank that I used transtint dye mixed into water and then processed with vacuum. I only did blue on one side and green on the other. I did let the blank dry for several days. It did not seem wet at any point during turning. I first split the blank into base and lid. We seemed to get good penetration with the dye. The color did not seem as vibrant as the Artisan dye. While turning the wood seemed different than the other blanks I have done. Seemed fuzzer? Here are pic of the final product. Looks good but is not like the one done with the other dye. Next I need to do one with the transtint mixed in alcohol.
    Sparky Paessler

This looks great. I'll go as far as saying the muted colors produced here are more attractive than the vibrant colors in the first pic. Thank you for sharing.

Sorry about the upside down pictures. Don’t know why three of them did that.
    John. I think the muted color was also partly that the transtint dye was just not as bright as the Artisan dye. I want to do one with alcohol and compare. As far as the danger of using alcohol I think I might add a pipe to my pump from the exhaust and run it outside for this last one. That way if there was a fire it might be outside instead of in the basement also it would cut down on having to breath the fumes. Once again I do not recommend that anyone use an alcohol based product in their vacuum chamber as it is a fire hazard. That is why I am looking for a water based alternative!
    Does anyone know if you can mix Transtint into paint thinner? That might work well. Another experiment to try!
    Sparky Paessler