Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pneumatic/Air line to big planers?

pneumatic/Air line to big planers?

I sometimes see large planers with air line plumbed up to them. Models such as the SCM s630 class machines. What's the purpose of these?

i have an SCM L'Invincible, and had to run air to it. the feed rollers have variable pneumatic pressure, independently controlled front and back.

--- dz

Blog Entries
    The planer/sander have air..

Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    The planer/sander have air..
    What are you trying to convey here?

Quote Originally Posted by David Zaret View Post
    i have an SCM L'Invincible, and had to run air to it. the feed rollers have variable pneumatic pressure, independently controlled front and back.

--- dz
    So instead of using segmented feed rollers, the rollers are one piece? Any good illustrations of this configuration?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Crivello View Post
    What are you trying to convey here?

we had a planer/sander on air.im not sure if the planer parts was on air. I wasn’t the operator..

Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    we had a planer/sander on air.im not sure if the planer parts was on air. I wasn’t the operator..
    Ok, are your responses pertinent or helpful towards answering the question at hand?

What was the air for...?

Blog Entries
    It’s a planer /sander. It has sanding belts, but not sure if the planer head was on air or not..

So instead of using segmented feed rollers, the rollers are one piece? Any good illustrations of this configuration?
    no, it's still segmented... the shaft has cylinders on either side, two on front, two on back, independently controlled. i could snap a pic, if you want...

Ok, are your responses pertinent or helpful towards answering the question at hand?

What was the air for...?
    Many big belt sanders use air to control belt tension and belt tracking.
    Many misuse the terms and call a wide belt sander a planer since it turns the wood into two parallel planes like a rotating knife planer does.
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    Ours was a a planer/sander. SCM planer sander. Our ps planed and had to wide belts . You can get a planer/ three belt. These sanders get up to 100k.

I want air to my small machine to keep the table free of dust. It would be nice if there was a fine spray keeping the infeed clear of dust

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    I want air to my small machine to keep the table free of dust. It would be nice if there was a fine spray keeping the infeed clear of dust
    That's an example of a a way of "using" air and while certainly valid, it's a little different than how air is often provisioned on the larger machines. In many cases, the use case there is not dissimilar to how air is used on my CNC machine to assist with lifting the Z axis by having a counterbalance cylinder to reduce the weight that the Z-axis motor has to lift. It uses pressure, but doesn't "use air"...no air is expelled. For those big machines, air pressure is often used for automation of media clamping/tension and other things. It may also be used for lifting assists and positioning, etc. It's a pretty practical way to do these functions and more if you think about it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

inside.jpg

Here is what it looks like inside my L'Invincibile S7, you can see the pneumatics above the roller.

it makes sense to use air as compression same as a spring. Id not heard of it in a planer.

It doesnt work in all things, we built a machined years ago using electric for feed, then changed to air and doing it again I would have used oil over air. The feed is not consistent in that case with the way the air compresses it can sort of stall build up more pressure then take off and that is not consistent feed.

Nice machine Albert. i have old Invincible and its excellent build quality . I might be wrong but see SCM in three levels. I have the best in the really old stuff likely 55 years old or more and their middle level stuff in my newer SCM stuff still likely 30 years old or more.