Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: pneumatic/Air line to big planers?

Thanks Albert, that’s quite interesting. What are the compressor or air line requirements for that?

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    it makes sense to use air as compression same as a spring. Id not heard of it in a planer.

It doesnt work in all things, we built a machined years ago using electric for feed, then changed to air and doing it again I would have used oil over air. The feed is not consistent in that case with the way the air compresses it can sort of stall build up more pressure then take off and that is not consistent feed.

Nice machine Albert. i have old Invincible and its excellent build quality . I might be wrong but see SCM in three levels. I have the best in the really old stuff likely 55 years old or more and their middle level stuff in my newer SCM stuff still likely 30 years old or more.
    Warren,

What vintage/model L’Invincible do you have? I’m currently weighing whether to hold out for an older s63 or a newer s630/s520. The older s63 series are growing on me and they appear to be a robust option that is easier to care for and maintain vs the newer stuff with the whiz bang electronics.

if I can find a decent deal on one and throw a new Tersa/helical head in, it might be the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Crivello View Post
    Thanks Albert, that’s quite interesting. What are the compressor or air line requirements for that?
    Its not a lot, a small compressor would do the work. I rarely use it because I use soft timber, if I dont turn on the valve, ie, no pressure I can do 0.1mm without getting planner marks on the stock!

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    it makes sense to use air as compression same as a spring. Id not heard of it in a planer.

It doesnt work in all things, we built a machined years ago using electric for feed, then changed to air and doing it again I would have used oil over air. The feed is not consistent in that case with the way the air compresses it can sort of stall build up more pressure then take off and that is not consistent feed.

Nice machine Albert. i have old Invincible and its excellent build quality . I might be wrong but see SCM in three levels. I have the best in the really old stuff likely 55 years old or more and their middle level stuff in my newer SCM stuff still likely 30 years old or more.

Here are a couple of pics of my L'Invincibile si X panel saw, took delivery last year around July?

the thinnest of all the steel plates on the machine is 12mm! thats like 1/2 inch for you folks up in the States.

the machine weighs 1128kg, about 2480lbs.

underside.jpg

web.jpg

very smooth sliding action. words fail to describe them.
    rail.jpg

In SCM going by memory rough guess the combo machines are 1965, One shaper maybe the 70's, one from the 80's and the sliding saw table maybe late 80's or 90's The invincible is different right from the start the base is not sheet steel. My general stuff has thinsheet steel that flaps in the wind, slider is quarter plate same as the griggio jointer and ill need to improve it. Plan to line it all with Duc Seal and take any tone away from it.

the hum from the combo is such a nice sound. I have old school cutter heads and you will be hard pressed to find old machines with new generation of heads. I can work with what I have as that is what I started on and the type of work and I learned more than we were taught. I priced out a tersa for the 24" planer and it was 7k approx whichis over three times what the machine cost. Not discounting it I havent got to that machine yet and it will need some work so first will get it on track with what is in it then for the most part ive always got by fine on high speed steel.

Nick on machines ive not had luck finding them when I needed them and paid too much once as had to have one to complete a job. Ive since seen that machine for 20 percent of what I paid for it used. Ive been able to buy stuff before I need it enough times and its still how I do it. I was moving one general table saw to another room and decided I didnt want to set it up but had used it for over 40 years. I looked on a forum saw a small slider and bought it without seeing it. that was a good choice zero chance id be happy on the general now having used this small slider. Ill still keep the generals and use them and be fine but they dont compare at all. The best value in machines is old used stuff. Even better if you get it from the original owners who bought it new
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 02-15-2024 at 3:12 PM.