Thread: Whitewashing with Rubio Monocoat

Whitewashing with Rubio Monocoat

Hey All, a wind storm + tree forced me into an unplanned renovation of a room at my cabin at the lake. The walls were pine before; 100 years old and mismatched, painted white. I'm redoing the ceiling in 1 x 6 T&G pine, so I'm replacing all of the wall board as well for uniformity.

I loved the white, but I figured a white wash as opposed to straight paint would look better; see the grain etc, but keep the light, lake feel. Have any of you used Rubio Monocoat for this application? If so, do you possibly have a scrap or a photo to show what it looked like? I got the "Nordic White" Precolor Easy, and the "Super White" Oil Plus 2C, so I figured I'd try this combo on some pine and see how it looked, but I'm curious if any of you have experience with this, or equally importantly, do you have a better way to white wash pine where it's going to end up pretty white, not just lighter pine?

As always, any help much appreciated!

Sorry, I haven't tried it. The cost of doing a whole room's worth of paneling with it would make me stop to think of other options. Have you looked at Minwax's or General Finishes' white stains? They have both OB and WB products. I used an OB white stain on an oak cabinet I built several years ago. I don't know how it would look on pine, but it gave a perfect match to the existing vanity and molding in the room.

For a room worth of paneling, I'd spray or roll on the stain and wipe it off.

John