Thread: Jet 1015 issue

Jet 1015 issue

I’ve been out of turning for a few years. Used to make turkey calls and a few pens here and there. Due to moving and other life stuff I had to get rid of my old lathe. But I’m back, and bought a used Lathe 1015 variable speed. The issue I’m having is the belt is slipping. I haven’t even tried to turn anything yet. I drilled out a brass bullet casing. Had a new sharp bit. If I put to much pressure the spindle would stop turning. And it wasn’t very much pressure at all. Took me a long time to drill out going very very slow as to not put pressure.
    I can’t grab the round back handle and make the spindle stop. I looked at the belt and when I grab the handle the belt keeps spinning but it slips. It doesn’t take very much pressure at all. I don’t think I’ll be able to even turn anything.
    Is there a way to fix that?

Sorry for the long post.

Have you tried to tension the belt? [page 12 of the instruction manual]https://jettools.com/media/akeneo_co...Rev_B_abc0.pdf
    Last edited by Phil Gaudio; 02-13-2024 at 6:30 PM.

Maybe the belt is glazed and you need a new belt.

Or maybe the previous owner replaced the belt with the wrong size belt and you can't tension it enough.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

I haven’t tried the tension belt. Just found the book online last night. I’ll try it and also get a new belt just in case.

I had the same problem with my 1015 lathe. My problem was a bad start -run capacitor. Ordered one from Jet installed it easily and problem solved.

I thought your run capacitor was a possibility but the OP says he can see the belt slipping so it sound like his motor is still turning even though the spindle is not.